Announcement

Collapse

User Blogs Upgrade

SA Forums and Blogger Community,

This week, the Saving Advice tech team will be upgrading the user blogs. The purpose of this upgrade to address the numerous technical issues the blogs have experiencing as well as make the better for both readers and bloggers.

Questions:

Please email Jon or James @

jon@districtmediafinance.com

james@districtmediafinance.com
See more
See less

This guy just moved to a jungle to escape his student loan debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amarowsky View Post
    Does anyone else have this feeling? I don't mind some... I get sometimes adds are necessary for income. But Too many.... just makes it feel like a really really fake message.
    It really matters how it is handled. Ads are necessary. No way around that. Even running a basic podcast can be fairly expensive. The one Disney podcast I have followed for over a decade is produced by two guys who own a travel agency, so the agency sponsors the show. They have a select few other sponsors that are very much hand-picked and represent products or services that the team uses and believes in strongly. They won't just take on any advertiser simply for the money. So even though I find some of the ads annoying because I'm not the least bit interested in what they're selling, I know that they were chosen as advertisers with a great deal of integrity.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by Snicks View Post
      I know one supposedly cannot default on student loans. However, what if one took out a bunch of cash advances on credit cards, used the cash advance to pay off the student loans and then defaulted on the credit cards?
      Sure. You can't discharge student loans in bankruptcy but you can certainly discharge credit card debt.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

It really matters how it is handled. Ads are necessary. No way around that. Even running a basic podcast can be fairly expensive. The one Disney podcast I have followed for over a decade is produced by two guys who own a travel agency, so the agency sponsors the show. They have a select few other sponsors that are very much hand-picked and represent products or services that the team uses and believes in strongly. They won't just take on any advertiser simply for the money. So even though I find some of the ads annoying because I'm not the least bit interested in what they're selling, I know that they were chosen as advertisers with a great deal of integrity.
        Agree, it is variable (my tolerance) to how the entity handles the adds. (i also prefer more chosen advertising, that is screened by the content creator's team/self). Seems like we are in agreement for typical adds. But maybe you are not as "turned off" by disruptive add's as I am. (maybe I'm on an island.... I just think we have more advertising that I'd personally prefer to tolerate).

I'm curious, what are the expenses you're referring to that are high?

(asking because I have not aware of common "fairly expensive" costs).

Only way I was aware of "high costs" = If you have very high downloads, and the hosting fee increases. But a lot of places offer $5-20 per month for unlimited downloads + couple of microphones $50-$500 (variable) + computer (likely have one capable) + editing (anywhere from free - >$30 per 2 hours for audio engineer) . I mean they can be as high as you wish if your flying guests out or vice versa, but the floor costs are quite low to my knowledge. But I have little experience hosting, I merely am going off my friends info who's a podcaster + audio engineer + video editor. I have recorded plenty of podcasts, but had other people upload the media to the host.

Comment

I'm curious, what are the expenses you're referring to that are high?
          It depends what sort of show you're talking about. If it's just some guy in his basement talking about sports for fun, you can probably run that on your phone. The sound quality might not be great but it'll do the job. But if you're talking about a more polished show, maybe with video and good quality production, you need higher end equipment. And if it's anything beyond just a little hobby, you need to be able to pay your employees. At the very least, you need money to cover expenses. Maybe you're doing dining reviews, so you need to pay for meals. Or you are talking about video games so you need to buy those. It's not just the cost of broadcasting itself.

In the case of the Disney podcast I follow, they have numerous paid staff members. They all need annual passes to the parks so they can come and go freely. They need to eat at the restaurants. They need to attend special events. They can't report on and review things without any money to do them. They report on the cruises, the private tours, and more. All of that costs many thousands of dollars each year. That money has to come from somewhere. Sure, there are plenty of very casual Disney podcasts run by fans, but they don't have anywhere near the depth of content that the professional ones have.
          Steve

Comment

It depends what sort of show you're talking about. If it's just some guy in his basement talking about sports for fun, you can probably run that on your phone. The sound quality might not be great but it'll do the job. But if you're talking about a more polished show, maybe with video and good quality production, you need higher end equipment. And if it's anything beyond just a little hobby, you need to be able to pay your employees. At the very least, you need money to cover expenses. Maybe you're doing dining reviews, so you need to pay for meals. Or you are talking about video games so you need to buy those. It's not just the cost of broadcasting itself.

In the case of the Disney podcast I follow, they have numerous paid staff members. They all need annual passes to the parks so they can come and go freely. They need to eat at the restaurants. They need to attend special events. They can't report on and review things without any money to do them. They report on the cruises, the private tours, and more. All of that costs many thousands of dollars each year. That money has to come from somewhere. Sure, there are plenty of very casual Disney podcasts run by fans, but they don't have anywhere near the depth of content that the professional ones have.
            It really does depend on the show. But I would be careful not to mistake a big budget $$$ = High quality content. I'll have to use Joe Rogan Experience as the outlier, but best example of low budget resulting in high quality. 95%+ of the show is done by (2) people, the host and the engineer. This is all the way from uploading content, setting up cameras & audio, coordinating guests, and everything else. Essentially "farm to table" with (2) people. And on average, they reach 200 million listeners a month, in some cases for extended 3 hour blocks of attention. (FYI, most people I know listen at 1.3-2x multiplier speed, so that + silence removal, is probably closer to 1.3-2 hours listened on avg) and of the 200 million downloads is roughly over ~20 per month, or 5 million Downloads per episode. That's' insane how much reach that is.... As who knows how many listeners per download (anywhere from 0.1 - lets say 4 people). It's nuts to think he has more reach than any 1 super bowl (downloads to viewer ratio) every month. To be more accurate, it's closer to 1.5 record setting superbowls for every pedestrian month of rogan. HIs largest podcast sole episode being the Elon Musk one, w/ 33 million downloads.

I heard a unique metric, to help realize how much influence this is. I heard, back in the 90's, that if you were a comedian, who get to do a spot on "Letterman" or "Jay Leno" with your comedy act. It would be the equivalent audience, to them selling out every seat in the comedy-nightclub (Think it was like a 100-300 club), every day of the week, for 40 years..... (thats millions of eyes). Crazy to conceptualize and contemplate how many people are "millions".

More produced podcasts, like your Disney mentioned one, Radiolab, Dan Carlin Hardcore History, Freakenomics these are much larger teams that do require a lot of investigative journalism. Each one of them cost magnitudes more than J.R.E. podcast I imagine, as they have staff >2 people. But if you put all of those podcasts together, they capture a substantially audience. I could say the same for many podcasters who operate more solo, or with a very small team (1-3 assistants/researchers). As soon as you are employing anyone else, it's gonna cost a ton. But I would not discount, an authentic person, who's honest, informed, and has some message or entertainment to share.

Polished does not equal expensive, expensive does not equal quality, but more resources will likely lead to a more superior product. But IMO, the best product out there, happens to be Very affordable to operate. (possibly within my budget)

Comment

Polished does not equal expensive, expensive does not equal quality, but more resources will likely lead to a more superior product. But IMO, the best product out there, happens to be Very affordable to operate. (possibly within my budget)
              Absolutely. There are many fan-run Disney podcasts that are just one guy or girl sharing their love of Disney, reporting from the parks and resorts, talking about the latest news and more. Costs are probably minimal. But then there are the others that are produced by a professional team. I love Choiceology, which is put out by Schwab, for example. I'm sure the host and other team members are paid for their work. And although the podcast is sponsored by Schwab, there is barely any advertising. They only even mention Schwab a couple of times, once at the beginning and once at the end. I find the entire content of the shows to be entirely absent of advertising or bias.
              Steve

Comment

Absolutely. There are many fan-run Disney podcasts that are just one guy or girl sharing their love of Disney, reporting from the parks and resorts, talking about the latest news and more. Costs are probably minimal. But then there are the others that are produced by a professional team. I love Choiceology, which is put out by Schwab, for example. I'm sure the host and other team members are paid for their work. And although the podcast is sponsored by Schwab, there is barely any advertising. They only even mention Schwab a couple of times, once at the beginning and once at the end. I find the entire content of the shows to be entirely absent of advertising or bias.
                Sounds like they're doing their advertising tastefully! Could a sign that they're not gluttons with their revenue from their podcast.

The only thing that makes me worried on some of the higher budget stuff..... Is when you have enough "add dollars" supporting the show, it can effect the product quality. Because they'll have 1st beholden responsibility to those paying their bills. And if they're really concerned with keeping that income source happy, they may have to "watch what they say" or choose to avoid certain questions, topics, blah blah blah.

A really good example is China & NBA. China pays NBA's bills, so they're not allowed to say anything that is in conflict w/ China, on public media. Like the whole human rights abuses alleged against their Gov't too the Uighur's -or- that NBA is not allowed to acknowledge Taiwan's existence or mention anything regarding Tibet, for fear of China demonetization of the NBA. Also similar to Raytheon and Boeing board members going onto CNN news. They are not allowed to promote anything that goes against the "ever increasing defense budget". I'd imagine the same reason that something like 69% of people (who knows how accurate that is) of both sides of the aisle, support Medicare for all. But CNN has a lot of insurance companies advertise on there, and help fund their organization. I recall reading an article about CNN not allowing some commericals to air, that appeared to be "anti insurance" , they used weak rationale saying it singled out an executive at one company.

My point is, advertising may seem benign. But it has impacts, because it is finally driven. It would seem wise, for everyone to question their source if the level of advertising really seems to be high. <---- this is more exclusive to information providing sources. As long as you're just getting entertainment, then it doesn't really matter. But for entertainment shows that capture the minds of our elderly, that are heavily advertised, I get worried... Fox and CNN, I know legally, they've had to defend themselves as entertainment shows in court. Because they're soo entrenched in propaganda and opinion, that it legally can't be defined as news (kinda like the subway bread , is bread here, but is a confection in Eu, because it's soo molested away from bread). Unfortunately, folks with stronger dissonance, fall prey to those entertainment news shows, and believe their bull**** interpretations as gospel. While they're not allowed to see, valid, reasonable, thoughtful counter arguments if they are obtuse to the advertisers preferred message. (for news my main gripe is, 100% Pro War and Pro insurance on both sides. I think these ideas at least need to be strongly questioned and re-examined by all, as they appear to be running orders of magnitude, below optimal).

Forgiving advertising influence at the low end, is a gateway drug to accepting it at the Highest level. This is where I approach much advertising based content, w/ trepidation and skepticism.

Comment

Working...
                X