Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This guy just moved to a jungle to escape his student loan debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACarr View Post

Ha! Can you blame him? Just because you have the same amount and have chosen a different path doesn't mean you should judge him. He could equally judge you for addressing it a different way than he is. Maybe if everyone stopped paying they'd find a solution to the crazy student debt problem.
    I don't think this is a "different path." It is just plain wrong. He's walking away from his responsibilities. He signed a piece of paper saying he'd pay that money back (as we all do when we take out a loan).

As far as a solution to the "crazy student debt problem" I don't think not paying is the answer. In fact, it is exacerbating the issue. He is likely one of those folks that focus on "his" truth versus THE truth...

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

I don't think this is a "different path." It is just plain wrong. He's walking away from his responsibilities. He signed a piece of paper saying he'd pay that money back (as we all do when we take out a loan).

As far as a solution to the "crazy student debt problem" I don't think not paying is the answer. In fact, it is exacerbating the issue. He is likely one of those folks that focus on "his" truth versus THE truth...
      I am at a loss how those who get themselves in our their head and then blame everyone else. Student debt is a CHOICE.
      Just like the housing crash, we will find out loans were passed out like candy to people whom could not afford or perhaps no plan to ever pay it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post

I am at a loss how those who get themselves in our their head and then blame everyone else. Student debt is a CHOICE.
        Just like the housing crash, we will find out loans were passed out like candy to people whom could not afford or perhaps no plan to ever pay it back.
        I definitely agree!

Comment

1. Basically, he stiffed the tax payer who guaranteed those loans (unless they were private loans). Also, anyone who cosigned will now be on the hook for those loans, instead.

2. This is why you don't major in liberal arts or humanities unless you come from money or plan to struggle for years in academia until you finally get tenured.

3. This speaks volumes about his character. He can go to the ends of the Earth but he can't escape himself. And he can't live in hiding forever.

Comment

id rather pay the 20k and keep living in the us versus moving to a 3rd worldish country. but that's just me. good luck to him

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post
              This is why you don't major in liberal arts or humanities unless you come from money or plan to struggle for years in academia until you finally get tenured.
              The guy owes 20K. That is not a lot of debt and certainly isn't insurmountable. Most student loans are paid back over 10 years. Surely no matter what his major was, he could find a job that would allow him to pay back 2K/year on his loans. This clown just didn't want to pay what he had committed to. He could have gotten a better job or a 2nd job if he needed to. There is always work out there if you're willing to do it. This guy just wasn't. Plus there are loan repayment options that can lower your payments and/or extend your repayment period. He just used modest debt as an excuse to go have an adventure.
              Last edited by disneysteve; 01-14-2019, 07:41 AM.
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                id rather pay the 20k and keep living in the us versus moving to a 3rd worldish country. but that's just me. good luck to him
                India has miles to go but it is nowhere near as bad as he proclaims it to be. If it is then he would not expect to permanently live there so he doth protest too much.
                Last edited by Scallywag; 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

The guy owes 20K. That is not a lot of debt and certainly isn't insurmountable. Most student loans are paid back over 10 years. Surely no matter what his major was, he could find a job that would allow him to pay back 2K/year on his loans. This clown just didn't want to pay what he had committed to. He could have gotten a better job or a 2nd job if he needed to. There is always work out there if you're willing to do it. This guy just wasn't. Plus there are loan repayment options that can lower your payments and/or extend your repayment period. He just used modest debt as an excuse to go have an adventure.
                  His moral compass has lost a dial, yes !

But my point is that liberal arts isn't for those looking to make oodles of greenbacks unless

(1) you don't expect to work in the field and are just looking to get a degree to put on your resume

or

(2) you do want to work the field but are willing to make do with little spending money after you pay your bills every month

or

(3) you expect a sizeable inheritance or marry into wealth.

i would personally never go into debt for a liberal arts major, and I would not encourage my own offspring or my nephews / nieces to do so either, but that's just me.

If you insist on getting a Liberal arts degree, then I would only do it the Dave Ramsey way - 2 years of Community college followed by 2 years of UDC in a local, in-state public University, while I work part time all 4 years, and live at home with my parents or live in a dorm. Rice and beans, beans and rice, scorched Earth until I graduate debt free or can pay it off in under 2 years.

Hey, you want to study Philosophy, awesome, go for it but make sure you do the responsible thing. If you know ahead of time that you plan to skip out on your loans then also do the decent thing and don't get an unsuspecting sheep to co-sign on your "liberal arts" decisions for you. For some odd reason I have a feeling that someone cosigned on his loans -- I hope I am dead wrong but I just get a terrible vibe here that this moron has gotten someone else into deep trouble.
                  Last edited by Scallywag; 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Guys - lets not knock liberal arts. Lots of philosophy and sociology majors have gone on to very respectable careers.
                    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Not to start up the whole college debate again as we've been through that before, but the vast majority of college graduates do not work in their field of study. The degree is just that. It is proof that you went to college. With few exceptions, your college major doesn't have a huge influence on the jobs you end up working. I have a friend, now retired, who got a degree in Philosophy. What did he do for the bulk of his career? He was the head of HR for AIG and did very well for himself.

Most employers in most fields just want to see that you completed college. They want someone who can speak articulately, write intelligibly, learn new tasks easily, and play well with others.

All of that said, I totally agree that you shouldn;t bury yourself in debt for college - and this guy didn't. 20K just isn't a lot of school debt and is perfectly manageable on a modest income. He just decided he didn't want to pay it. I doubt that his decision would have been any different had he chosen a different major. This wasn't about the money.
                      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                        Not to start up the whole college debate again as we've been through that before, but the vast majority of college graduates do not work in their field of study. The degree is just that. It is proof that you went to college. With few exceptions, your college major doesn't have a huge influence on the jobs you end up working. I have a friend, now retired, who got a degree in Philosophy. What did he do for the bulk of his career? He was the head of HR for AIG and did very well for himself.

Most employers in most fields just want to see that you completed college. They want someone who can speak articulately, write intelligibly, learn new tasks easily, and play well with others.

All of that said, I totally agree that you shouldn;t bury yourself in debt for college - and this guy didn't. 20K just isn't a lot of school debt and is perfectly manageable on a modest income. He just decided he didn't want to pay it. I doubt that his decision would have been any different had he chosen a different major. This wasn't about the money.
                        I agree with that! I have friends that majored in Sports Science and wound up working as a loan officer. Most employers simply want to know you have a degree. The rest is almost always on-the-job training. I can't say I've ever been asked for my degree for a position in a company... but I have it haha.

The fact that he ditched everything in the U.S. to run from $20K in debt is just mind-blowing to me. Living with his parents (like I think he was), he could have worked a modest job and had that paid off in a few years if he actually tried (or cared).

Comment

You can be very successful in life with a "junk" degree or no degree for that matter. Some career fields require a specific degree (you wouldnt want a english major doing surgery) some require any degree. HR is one of those that require "any degree". That being said, all else equal, the candidate with a degree that matches the job they're going for will win out. A business major with focus on HR is a much stronger candidate than the same person with a philosophy degree.

nowadays, the educational requirement is a lot tougher since half the population has a college degree. Its not like the 1970s where having any degree meant something. 4 year degree in a random major is almost the new high school diploma.

Comment

Some career fields require a specific degree (you wouldnt want a english major doing surgery)
                            Actually, you'd be surprised. I had peers in medical school who had degrees in almost every field you can think of. After graduating, and often after working for a few years, they decided they wanted to become doctors so they went back and took the science courses they needed to qualify for admission but they didn't get new degrees. So you very well might encounter a surgeon with an English degree or history degree or business degree. You do not need a science/pre-med degree to get into medical school.
                            Steve

Comment

nowadays, the educational requirement is a lot tougher since half the population has a college degree. Its not like the 1970s where having any degree meant something. 4 year degree in a random major is almost the new high school diploma.
                              I'm sure there's some truth to that, and I definitely see things through the lens of someone who graduated 30+ years ago, but even today, I see young people I know who are working in fields that really aren't what they studied in school. Heck, my daughter is teaching preschool. She didn't go for education. She has an English degree but that's not really relevant when your students are all under the age of 2. And, by the way, she made her final student loan payment last month so she is now debt-free 7 months after graduation.
                              Steve

Comment

That's surprising because most preschools (at least in my area) require an associate degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE) and those that do hire non ECE candidates will make it a requirement for new hires to get their degree within X number of months. Many also offer work / study where you work at the preschool / day care during the day and go to school during the evenings and weekends.

Most English majors I know end up as journalists so that's another​​ path for her.
                                ​​

Comment

Working...
                                X