What to sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to sell?

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what to sell on Craigslist to try and get an emergency fund started.

So far I have decided to sell my cloth diaper stash that's barely used because they have an excellent resale value (our daycare stopped accepting them). I can make about $250 on these relatively easily.

I have a lot of baby gear that I COULD sell, but I am hesitant because I purposefully bought it all in gender nuetral colors because we plan on having another child in a few years (YES we will be out of debt before having another one!). Is it worth selling all this stuff now only to have to re-buy it again more expensively in a few years?

We have a Wii that we never use and I'm going to sell as well.

Any other ideas for easy to sell items? I don't really have clothes to sell because I buy them all used anyway, so no real resale value there.

Originally posted by LecMarie View Post
    Ok so I'm trying to figure out what to sell on Craigslist to try and get an emergency fund started.

So far I have decided to sell my cloth diaper stash that's barely used because they have an excellent resale value (our daycare stopped accepting them). I can make about $250 on these relatively easily.

I have a lot of baby gear that I COULD sell, but I am hesitant because I purposefully bought it all in gender nuetral colors because we plan on having another child in a few years (YES we will be out of debt before having another one!). Is it worth selling all this stuff now only to have to re-buy it again more expensively in a few years?

We have a Wii that we never use and I'm going to sell as well.

Any other ideas for easy to sell items? I don't really have clothes to sell because I buy them all used anyway, so no real resale value there.
    Keep the baby items. As far as anything else that you could sell, it's kind of hard to answer that question without being at your house and looking around to see what you have. You need an unbiased opinion from someone you trust. Have a friend or relative come over and let them walk around the house and garage with you. Have them point out anything of value and ask what it is, how long you have had it, the last time that you used it, and if you really need it or not. I'm sure you will come up with something. If you come up with a bunch of stuff, then you can have a yard sale.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
      Keep the baby items. As far as anything else that you could sell, it's kind of hard to answer that question without being at your house and looking around to see what you have. You need an unbiased opinion from someone you trust. Have a friend or relative come over and let them walk around the house and garage with you. Have them point out anything of value and ask what it is, how long you have had it, the last time that you used it, and if you really need it or not. I'm sure you will come up with something. If you come up with a bunch of stuff, then you can have a yard sale.
      I WISH I could have a yard sale, but I live in a townhouse community with no yard It would be so much easier if I could have a yard sale. Craigslisting stuff is a pain!

Comment

Furniture is probably your biggest asset that could be downsized for less or just done without. Do you have pieces you don't really use that are just for decoration? Other ideas: look in your garage/attic/storage areas and get rid of what you don't use. Tools are another big one that usually sell quickly.

I probably wouldn't sell big ticket baby items but clothes and such in good condition I definitely would -- you can buy used next time around to save some cash. When I sell baby clothes on craigslist I bundle all the clothes of the same style or size and sell them as a bundle so it all gets scooped up.

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
          Keep the baby items.
          I'd say that depends on the items. If you have nicer items than you really need and could sell them now for cash and later when you need them again, hit the yard sales and thrift shops to rebuy lower end but functional stuff, do that. Then you can resell those items when you are done with them. We had baby items that we bought used and resold a couple of years later for the same price we paid for them. We even made a profit on a couple of items that we had bought really cheap at yard sales.
          I WISH I could have a yard sale, but I live in a townhouse community with no yard
          Look around for a local flea market, church bazaar or something similar where you can rent a space and sell your stuff.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

My son-in-law buys and sells used college books. There are sites you can scan the books ISBN number on the back and they will tell you how much they will pay for it. He picks his up at garage sells and off Craigslist. He uses a site called bookscouter.com.
            Last edited by maat55; 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

When we started our trek toward Debt-Freedom, we sold some old jewelry, clothes that didn't fit (or were just plain ugly), dvd's, video games, books, unused household items, and unused board games.

I do agree that you should probably hang on to the baby items if you plan to have more. But it sounds like you are well on your way. Good job...keep up the good work!

Comment

We've had good luck selling our older sporting goods items (golf clubs, baseball mitts, etc.).

Comment

I don't really have clothes to sell because I buy them all used anyway, so no real resale value there.
                  Just because you bought them used doesn't mean they have no resale value. As long as they are in decent shape, somebody will buy them. We've resold items that we bought used, both clothing and many other types of items.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

As far as the baby stuff goes, imagine you bought the items right now at the price you could sell them at and charge them on your credit card. How much after interest would you end up paying for them? So if you would pay $100 with a 20% apr then it would be $120 after a year. So if you plan on having a kid in three years, look at how much that would be after three years interest. If that is more than a price for a new one, then sell the items. If not, keep them.

Comment

-Video games, video game consoles
                      -CDs, DVDs, Bluerays (both players and software)
                      -Sporting goods
                      -Unused kitchenware
                      -Old furniture
                      -Gardening tools

Comment

I honestly don't think cloth diapers would sell that well, or other small baby items. Maybe a big-ticket item like a nice crib or bed, but I don't even know about that, since I don't have babies myself.

Comment

I just recently sold my Softride road bike. They are actually pretty rare so parting with it took me awhile to conclude.

Comment

When we first started getting out of debt we sold everything that we could. I sold a collection, musical instruments, baby clothes. You can always get new things for babies later on. That is about the most common thing you see at yard sales. Bigger baby items like a crib and such I would hold onto.

Comment

Gold jewelry that you know you will not want or do not want to pass on to your children.

Comment

Working...
                              X