The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas to feed large crowd for $100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethnic food can be made in large batches to feed 100 on the cheap but it depends on what you think they would eat. Spanish rice or paella or pilaf.
    Hungarian goulash, Cuban Picadillo, French Ragout [stew], Californian Style Tamale Pie.
    If you make a thick, filling soup like Crockpot Squash/Apple it extends the casserole. I made Coq-a-vin for a large crowd using really cheap boiling hens but it was a lot of work that I wouldn't repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by DebbieL View Post
      Chicken and dumplings gets my vote too. My mouth is watering just thinking about them I like the curry idea too, but I'm not sure if lots of children might eat it?
      massaman curry is quite sweet and flavoursome and generally can be made (or the paste purchased) completely mild with no spiciness. it is usually the green/red curries that are hotter and not really for kids.

Comment

Haha, probably a good idea you don't feed them chili.

Comment

I like the brunch idea. If you have a ton of eggs what about omelets? Or eggs with pancakes (cheap from flour from scratch) and bacon?

Or I like the chicken and dumplings.

I love ethnic curries, but I'm not sure how that would go over...
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Lasagna
            Ham salad sandwiches on buns
            Tuna burgers
            Pulled Pork sandwiches
            Stuffed cabbage rolls

Comment

salty potatoes chips and soda? or some very sweet pie?

Comment

Gumbo or Jambalaya and cornbread? I like the chicken and dumplings idea, too. Mmmm hmmm.

Here's a good gumbo recipe that my husband and stepson love - it says it serves 12 and that's definitely no joke. I have to halve it or we're eating it for days (which suits my husband just fine, actually ).

Chicken, Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo Recipe - Marcia Kiesel | Food & Wine

Red beans and rice with smoked sausage might go over well with that crowd, also.

ETA: Just noticed this is an old thread *lol* Oh well. Never hurts to have ideas for feeding a lot of people cheaply, eh?
                Last edited by strigiformes; 07-11-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Well, you need to assess your previous experience feeding large people before to make another estimate.

Comment

A very challenging and interesting work. Wish I can help.

Comment

I like the chicken and dumpling idea. I would go that route or think in casserole terms. Something that uses lots of pasta or rice and not much meat(especially beef) should get you a lot of bang for the buck.
                      "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Working...
                      X