The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas to feed large crowd for $100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREENBACK
    replied
    I like the chicken and dumpling idea. I would go that route or think in casserole terms. Something that uses lots of pasta or rice and not much meat(especially beef) should get you a lot of bang for the buck.

Leave a comment:

• Jenniferw
    replied
    A very challenging and interesting work. Wish I can help.

Leave a comment:

• Ana72
    replied
    Well, you need to assess your previous experience feeding large people before to make another estimate.

Leave a comment:

• strigiformes
    replied
    Gumbo or Jambalaya and cornbread? I like the chicken and dumplings idea, too. Mmmm hmmm.

Here's a good gumbo recipe that my husband and stepson love - it says it serves 12 and that's definitely no joke. I have to halve it or we're eating it for days (which suits my husband just fine, actually ).

Chicken, Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo Recipe - Marcia Kiesel | Food & Wine

Red beans and rice with smoked sausage might go over well with that crowd, also.

ETA: Just noticed this is an old thread *lol* Oh well. Never hurts to have ideas for feeding a lot of people cheaply, eh?
    Last edited by strigiformes; 07-11-2010, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric80
    replied
    salty potatoes chips and soda? or some very sweet pie?

Leave a comment:

• Staceyy
    replied
    Lasagna
    Ham salad sandwiches on buns
    Tuna burgers
    Pulled Pork sandwiches
    Stuffed cabbage rolls

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    I like the brunch idea. If you have a ton of eggs what about omelets? Or eggs with pancakes (cheap from flour from scratch) and bacon?

Or I like the chicken and dumplings.

I love ethnic curries, but I'm not sure how that would go over...

Leave a comment:

• Brad VanGuard
    replied
    Haha, probably a good idea you don't feed them chili.

Leave a comment:

• whitestripe
    replied
    Originally posted by DebbieL View Post
    Chicken and dumplings gets my vote too. My mouth is watering just thinking about them I like the curry idea too, but I'm not sure if lots of children might eat it?
    massaman curry is quite sweet and flavoursome and generally can be made (or the paste purchased) completely mild with no spiciness. it is usually the green/red curries that are hotter and not really for kids.

Leave a comment:

• snafu
    replied
    Ethnic food can be made in large batches to feed 100 on the cheap but it depends on what you think they would eat. Spanish rice or paella or pilaf.
    Hungarian goulash, Cuban Picadillo, French Ragout [stew], Californian Style Tamale Pie.
    If you make a thick, filling soup like Crockpot Squash/Apple it extends the casserole. I made Coq-a-vin for a large crowd using really cheap boiling hens but it was a lot of work that I wouldn't repeat!

Leave a comment:

• DebbieL
    replied
    Chicken and dumplings gets my vote too. My mouth is watering just thinking about them I like the curry idea too, but I'm not sure if lots of children might eat it?

Leave a comment:

• globetraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by zakity View Post
    Ooo... What about chicken and dumplings?
    Oh Yea! I vote for the Dumplins'!

In reality, grandfather grew up really poor. There were seven of them living in a 2 bedroom house for several years when he was young, and they ate lots of pork and chicken Dumplins'. His sister (my great aunt) still has the original family recipe and we still have home made dumplins' every time the family gets together.

They always had hogs and chickens on the farm, so always had some meat, but the dumplins made it filling and and tasty.

Leave a comment:

• whitestripe
    replied
    i forgot to add, you can make up some pappadoms (sp?) to fill them up too!

Leave a comment:

• whitestripe
    replied
    what about some type of curry? massaman curry is quite cheap, and it would be different to what they normally get. all you would need is:
    coconut milk (make it go further by using coconut cream and adding water, as coconut cream is thicker and usually cheaper)
    massaman curry paste (or make it yourself)
    potatoes
    peanuts
    onion
    chicken or beef
    and a ton of rice.

you could also add more veges to go further, which is what i usually do to make it healthier as well. pumpkin, beans, carrot, capsicum and brocoli.

i think you would be easily able to do this for $100.

Leave a comment:

• Granite
    replied
    or ham and cheese quiches in large roasting pans since you have eggs

you can also make a large salad to go with it

and serve with bread rolls

Leave a comment:

Working...
X