Companies like Blue Apron are making millions of dollars per month with home meal delivery services. In 2015 it was estimated that Blue Apron was turning out somewhere near $40 million in meal kits each month. I’ll be the first to admit that the commercials and other ads make it pretty tempting but it does come at a cost.
Most home meal delivery services cost around $60 per week, though it could be more if you have dietary restrictions. This means approximately $240 per month is being paid for 12 meals. Is it really worth it?
Blue Apron Overview
Before we jump into whether or not Blue Apron is worth it or not you should know a bit about the company. Blue Apron prides itself on being a farm-to-table company so the meals delivered are extremely fresh, which is great, and signing up is incredibly easy. The company boasts a 1-2-3 program where chefs and farmers work together on a menu, you get the food and are provided recipes to prepare it. According to the Blue Apron website, “Blue Apron’s uniquely integrated model means better ingredients, better pricing and a better planet for us all.”
Is Blue Apron Worth The Money?
All of that sounds great, right? Fresh ingredients delivered to your door at what is called a competitive price. For many people getting three meals for two (six meals total) for $60 is great, especially if they don’t have to go grocery shopping. You can get $60 off your first 3 boxes of Blue Apron with this link. For me, though, Blue Apron is not worth the money and here’s why:
First, I must say I was impressed with Blue Apron… Just not impressed enough to spend that much on three meals a week. Blue Apron provides customers with quality products in an easy way. It is a home meal delivery service so, as you may have guessed, your meals are delivered to your doorstep.
Setting up delivery is extremely easy and Blue Apron will deliver every day of the week (including Sunday). If you live in a smaller town delivery may not be available some days of the week but if you live in a metropolitan area you’ll likely have delivery any day you need it. If you aren’t home at the time of delivery, don’t worry. Blue Apron places the box on the doorstep and has packed your food with giant ice packs to insure it stays cool.
Once you unpack your box and begin to cook your first meal you’ll notice neat recipe cards. They take you step-by-step through the recipe and take 40 minutes or less. The portion sizes are perfect as well, and, once again, when you get the chance to taste your meal you may be pleasantly surprised (like I was).
Not everything about Blue Apron is great though. If you have dietary restrictions or live with a picky eater (like I do) Blue Apron probably won’t be the best choice for you. Additionally, the company offers a vegetarian option but it doesn’t seem to vary often like the menu containing meat.
Another thing I would change about the program is the requirement to buy three meals. Sometimes I like to have a nicer meal at home (or out) during the week. I wouldn’t mind buying one single Blue Apron meal for $20 to serve two.
The biggest con, for me, is the price. Sixty bucks could feed my household for a week (possibly more if there’s a crazy sale). Of course the ingredients are a bit better than the non-organic lettuce and broccoli I use but I’d rather save the money. If you need to cancel your Blue Apron subscription you can’t do so through the website either. You’ll have to email the Blue Apron team to cancel your home meal delivery services.
I may be the only person in the world that wouldn’t want Blue Apron meals regularly though because Blue Apron customers have great things to say.
What Do Blue Apron Customers Have to Say?
Blue Apron has over 1 million customers so far and many of them have great things to say. Most of them are in relation to the great quality of the products provided by the company. Many people also enjoy the company because it makes it easy to cook. The step-by-step instructions can help a novice chef gain footing in the kitchen.
Complaints surrounding Blue Apron generally come about the actual delivery and the cancellation process. Very few complaints have come across about the food though. So, if you want a quality product without having to step foot out of the house, Blue Apron could be for you. Order using this link and receive $60 off your first 3 boxes.
Despite the fact that I wouldn’t personally buy Blue Apron monthly, many people are doing so. In fact, more and more companies like Blue Apron are popping up all over the place. How do they stack up next to Blue Apron where price and options goes?
What About Other Home Delivery Services?
Blue Apron is one of the most popular home meal delivery services but it is far from the other option. Here are just a few of the most popular delivery services and how they compare to Blue Apron:
- HelloFresh: HelloFresh is another one of the most popular home meal delivery services out there. It costs $60 per week like Blue Apron and, according to customer testimony, HelloFresh seems to provide just about the same services as Blue Apron. If you’re looking to switch things up, you may want to check it out.
- HomeChef: HomeChef is one of the home meal delivery services I’d like to try. It offer a per-meal option. You can scale your order down to two meals a week ($45 per week minimum). This makes it cost less than Blue Apron unless you have a coupon. HomeChef also has the option to order up to six meals a week.
- Martha & Marley Spoon: Martha Stewart also has her own home meal delivery service. It is just slightly more expensive than Blue Apron at $61.50 for three meals for two. You can hand-select the meals you receive with this service and it claims you can feed up to three people on their smaller plan.
- Plated: Plated is one of the more expensive home meal delivery services out there. It offers a break down for two, three and four-person households but it costs $71.70 per week (more than $10 more expensive than Blue Apron). They do offer an intro price, much Blue Apron’s $30 off your first order promotion.
- Local Services: Not every city has this but where I live (Charlotte, NC) there are local home meal delivery services. Nearest me there is a Fresh n’ Lean delivery service. Normally, because these companies are much smaller, they are a bit more expensive. Fresh n’ Lean is about the same ($9.33 per meal for the basic plan). The company offers many more options compared to Blue Apron though. You can get breakfast, lunch and dinner through the company and change the many based on your diet (they even cater to the Paleo diet).
When it comes down to it, Blue Apron is one of the best home meal delivery services out there. It is ideal for those who have the money to spend on food ($10 per plate), are trying to learn to cook or learn to eat smaller, healthier portion sizes. There is no doubt that Blue Apron has a quality product to offer its patrons though. So, if you have the budget for it and want to try new, delicious foods without having to shop for the ingredients Blue Apron may be for you.
If you’re interested in ordering Blue Apron, use this link to get $60 off your first 3 boxes.
What do other people have to say about Blue Apron? Check out these great reviews:
- A Review of Blue Apron’s Family Plan
- Is the Blue Apron Family Plan Worth the Money?
- An Honest Blue Apron Review
Photos: Blue Apron