No announcement yet.

Working online/from home ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an interesting encounter at the post office this afternoon. A woman was at the counter mailing her packages and discussing her business with the clerk. The clerk commented that she wanted to get into it but her husband wouldn't agree to it. The customer boasts about how well she was doing with it while working a full time job. There was a customer standing in front of me rolling her eyes and quietly mumbling negativities. The clerk asked the customer if it was still $5k initial start up cost. The customer responded that it was $5,500.

That is when a woman in line in front of me whispered to me that what she is doing only cost her $500 to get started. She said the other woman was only making 5 or 10% (don't recall the low percentage she mentioned exactly), while she was making 50% on her business.

The woman at the counter was wearing leggings with a puzzle piece design. So I asked this other woman if the one at the counter was selling Lularoe leggings, and she nodded yes. She discreetly criticized the other woman's business some more then informed me what she was selling. Adult toys! She commented that what she sells will never go out of style and she will eventually retire off of it. She then holds up a medium priority box and said that it contained $700 in toys! All going to one customer.

I am a much older woman than she is and the conversation was a bit awkward and embarrassing for me. But I must admit that I was a bit intrigued by the business.

Just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge about the mark up on these type of products? Does 50% sound realistic or do you think this woman was just exaggerating to make herself look good?

Prior to this encounter today, I have never considered such a business. But I have yet to find anything on eBay that I could buy and then resell.

Thoughts?

Comment

A 50% mark up seems awfully exaggerated to me though my items are twice that but they are smaller items, selling for less.
      So your time to package it up is the same.

I would ask the postmaster about how often that person comes in to mail packages and how many packages she mails each day.

One lady I know of here in town sells Jewelry on Etsy. She hires a girl p/t, likely around Xmas, to help her with her sales.
      This lady also manages the trailer park and lives there f/t.

Maybe rent out the side of your moms house to someone living in a motorhome.
      We did this a while back, it produced a few hundred dollars a month income.
      Not alot of $$ but at the time, we wanted someone living on the property anyhow
      Advertised on CL, got a good guy. Worked for a year and a half until his dog started acting up.
      Going to the neighbors laws and pooping on them

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoorsygal View Post
        A 50% mark up seems awfully exaggerated to me though my items are twice that but they are smaller items, selling for less.
        So your time to package it up is the same.

I would ask the postmaster about how often that person comes in to mail packages and how many packages she mails each day.

One lady I know of here in town sells Jewelry on Etsy. She hires a girl p/t, likely around Xmas, to help her with her sales.
        This lady also manages the trailer park and lives there f/t.

Maybe rent out the side of your moms house to someone living in a motorhome.
        We did this a while back, it produced a few hundred dollars a month income.
        Not alot of $$ but at the time, we wanted someone living on the property anyhow
        Advertised on CL, got a good guy. Worked for a year and a half until his dog started acting up.
        Going to the neighbors laws and pooping on them
        It is an extremely busy post office so I doubt any of the workers are going to know who I am referring to. All I can do to describe her was that she had a tattoo on the back of her neck, which they may not notice since they are facing her more than not.

I did an area search on eBay and didn't find any recent sales of those type of products. I did 5 mile radius. I am going to try again with a 10 mile radius. If that doesn't produce any results, then I have to assume she is using another site to sell.

Comment

You can always look for an online job Just look for job sites and apply as much as you can and ensure that you have a good profile, and always be true to what you put.

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyHefferon View Post
            It is an extremely busy post office so I doubt any of the workers are going to know who I am referring to. All I can do to describe her was that she had a tattoo on the back of her neck, which they may not notice since they are facing her more than not.

I did an area search on eBay and didn't find any recent sales of those type of products. I did 5 mile radius. I am going to try again with a 10 mile radius. If that doesn't produce any results, then I have to assume she is using another site to sell.
            Good thinking. ! I'd search a 10-20 mile radius, sometimes that is needed to see sales within a 5 mile radius

Comment

Good thinking. ! I'd search a 10-20 mile radius, sometimes that is needed to see sales within a 5 mile radius
              I extended the search and still no sales. The woman must be using another method to sell her products.

Comment

This is a great idea! I believe you done a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by danielaa View Post
                  This is a great idea! I believe you done a good thing.

Comment

I extended the search and still no sales. The woman must be using another method to sell her products.
                    Yes. You'll need to look at her postage labels (if that is ever possible).
                    Labels may read Paypal, or Ebay, or Amazon, etc.
                    Btw, how do you know what kind of products she sells? did you overhear her?

I love the medical transcription idea.

Our ex neighbors, a married couple, both do this for a living

Comment

Yes. You'll need to look at her postage labels (if that is ever possible).
                      Labels may read Paypal, or Ebay, or Amazon, etc.
                      Btw, how do you know what kind of products she sells? did you overhear her?

I love the medical transcription idea.

Our ex neighbors, a married couple, both do this for a living
                      I really don't go to the post office often, so the chances of me ever seeing her again are pretty slim. I know what she sells because she brought it up to me as a way to put down what the other woman was selling. I was just standing in line minding my own business.

I like the idea of what she sells IF she was being truthful about her markups and success. However, since I was unable to locate her on eBay, it is going to be really hard to find out who her wholesaler is.

The research I have done has been quite an eye opener to say the least. Definitely not something I can elaborate on much due to (understandable) site rules. What I will say is that I personally can not afford these products.

Comment

I really don't go to the post office often, so the chances of me ever seeing her again are pretty slim. I know what she sells because she brought it up to me as a way to put down what the other woman was selling. I was just standing in line minding my own business.

I like the idea of what she sells IF she was being truthful about her markups and success. However, since I was unable to locate her on eBay, it is going to be really hard to find out who her wholesaler is.

The research I have done has been quite an eye opener to say the least. Definitely not something I can elaborate on much due to (understandable) site rules. What I will say is that I personally can not afford these products.
                        Yes that is certainly a problem. It might be possible to get some free education and/or training if you are low income.
                        Maybe certification/training for something like medical transcription.
                        You are so limited living and caring for mom at this time but I am sure she greatly appreciates it

Comment

Yes that is certainly a problem. It might be possible to get some free education and/or training if you are low income.
                          Maybe certification/training for something like medical transcription.
                          You are so limited living and caring for mom at this time but I am sure she greatly appreciates it
                          Thank you. I was referring to not being able to afford the products as a consumer

$500 for start up is doable. The $5k + that the other woman needed to start selling leggings is out of my range.

Comment

Although I still don't know where this particular woman gets her products, I did find a "turnkey" company for this type of business. Some information on the business.

Create and host your website with the domain name of your choosing (if available).

The website (saw their demo) is well put together. It has all of the products available for purchase by the customers that I drive to the site. They take care of payment. Pack and ship the items. Customer service. Etc. The issue commission checks twice a month.

You are also given access to a Back Office site to manage your online store, and manage your account. Through this back office site, you are able to place orders for customer sales made through other methods. Example, sales made on eBay. Just place the order through the back office site and it is shipped to the customer.

You can also order bulk quantities through the Back Office site, which is convenient for people selling via Home Parties (wouldn't be my thing though).

The personalized website and hosting cost $59.99/month and can cancel at anytime. $49.99/month with a 1 year contract. $39.99/month with a 2 year contract.

I checked an item out on eBay. The sale via eBay after fees produced a 33% return. If purchased through the website, the return would be 127%.

Of course the return through the website sounds great, but I am skeptical it would generate a lot of sales at those prices. Also, there is the expense of trying to drive traffic to the site.

What I am waiting to find out is the start up cost.

Comment

Blogging is a good one - it's fun, and if you're passionate about what you're talking about chances are you will have readers.

Make a free blog on WordPress and see how you like it - if you're good at it, buy a domain and set something up. It's fast, easy, and cheap. And it's also tremendously rewarding if you're good at it.

Comment

I heard back from the company regarding the start up costs.

Basic. A 2,500 item webstore for $379.99 (One time fee)
                                Silver. A 5,000 item webstore for $579.99 (One time fee)
                                Gold. A 10,000 item webstore for $779.99 (One time fee)
                                PLATINUM. A 20,000 item webstore for $979.99 (One time fee)

The only other cost associated is a monthly maintenance fee which covers:
                                UNLIMITED drop shipping
                                UNLIMITED credit card processing
                                UNLIMITED coaching
                                Wholesale access
                                Technical support
                                Hosting & maintenance
                                Customer service

There are three options for the monthly maintenance fee.
                                $59.99 per month with no commitment
                                $49.99 per month with 1 year contract
                                $39.99 per month with 2 year contract

First month fee waived regardless of which option you select

Comment

Working...
                                X