X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• james.hendrickson
    replied
    Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
    ...And that's why I stated, "in a different form". Fact is, he was given something which overwhelmingly contributed to his continued success. I do have very high respect for our military, and I have no doubt some forum members will come out swinging in defense, how dare I say what I did, when they aren't really absorbing what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, in bootstrapping one's way to FIRE, privilege and handouts must be acknowledged. The author of the blog sort of does this, but he attributes it to his physical capabilities and lack of impairment. Many people use the military as a way to escape poverty and get ahead, and that is a fact. He even admitted to thinking he'd take their free money for a year, and then leave.
    Well...soo...what exactly are you saying then? He had an advantage because he joined the military?

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    ...And that's why I stated, "in a different form". Fact is, he was given something which overwhelmingly contributed to his continued success. I do have very high respect for our military, and I have no doubt some forum members will come out swinging in defense, how dare I say what I did, when they aren't really absorbing what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, in bootstrapping one's way to FIRE, privilege and handouts must be acknowledged. The author of the blog sort of does this, but he attributes it to his physical capabilities and lack of impairment. Many people use the military as a way to escape poverty and get ahead, and that is a fact. He even admitted to thinking he'd take their free money for a year, and then leave.

Leave a comment:

• james.hendrickson
    replied
    Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

Not the same in my opinion. He received the training upfront, but he was encumbered by military service. The government wanted his skill set and labor for a period of time and was willing to pay to train him. If the government had no need for this, they would not have paid him- so lucky for him. Training/education is really important to mission accomplishment in the military.

Active duty folks could also receive a paid education. I do not consider that a hand out--more like deferred compensation.
    https://www.militaryonesource.mil/mi...-job-training/
    yes, and I'm sure the members on this board can attest - military service is in no way a "handout". You have very limited freedom and are subject to a high degree of regimentation, rules and discipline.

Leave a comment:

• Like2Plan
    replied
    Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
    ...The government paid for his life for 4 years through ROTC and provided him a free 4-year college education, which he then parlayed into a career. There are some on this board who are vehemently against handouts, and that's exactly what it is, in a different form. Yes, I said it.
    Not the same in my opinion. He received the training upfront, but he was encumbered by military service. The government wanted his skill set and labor for a period of time and was willing to pay to train him. If the government had no need for this, they would not have paid him- so lucky for him. Training/education is really important to mission accomplishment in the military.

Active duty folks could also receive a paid education. I do not consider that a hand out--more like deferred compensation.
    https://www.militaryonesource.mil/mi...-job-training/

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    Interesting blog, and a good story of how he and his mom had to start from scratch.

He acknowledges his privilege therein, which brings up an interesting point. The government paid for his life for 4 years through ROTC and provided him a free 4-year college education, which he then parlayed into a career. There are some on this board who are vehemently against handouts, and that's exactly what it is, in a different form. Yes, I said it.

That's an amazing net worth for his age, although, I can't really imagine living in a 375sf apartment or finding ways to get free food. It would appear he is definitely deferring enjoyment or possibly other goals.

Leave a comment:

• james.hendrickson
    started a topic Some People Are Doing FIRE Really Well

Some People Are Doing FIRE Really Well

So, I ran into this dude Justin's blog in a Facebook group I'm part of.

I just wanted to share it here because he's doing a bang-up job becoming financially Independent. The guy regularly saves 90% of his income. He literally spends next to nothing on groceries (60 per month) and lives in a shoebox apartment (375 square feet), that he shares with his girlfriend.

He's got a net worth in the $840,367 range, which is pretty outstanding for a man in his early 30s.

https://saving-sherpa.com/
    Last edited by james.hendrickson; 07-20-2021, 08:05 AM.
Working...
X