niece doing bankruptcy and I'm disgusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

niece doing bankruptcy and I'm disgusted

My 32-year old niece who has two kids lives with the father of the kids. Since the "authorities" don't know he is living in the house, she is eligible for all kinds of public assistance. She only works part-time in daycare because she doesn't want to work full-time.

She told us yesterday that she is doing a bankruptcy because she "has too many bills and bankruptcy is not a big deal".

I'm disgusted because her 42-year old boyfriend (I'm mentioning their ages to show that these are not young, naive kids who simply made some bad mistakes) makes very good money but chooses to spend it on himself. I'm also disgusted because she bought all new furniture, a ton of new clothes and a refrigerator within the last few months and is excited that she won't have to pay for any of it now.

Geez.

Well you just made me feel better about some of my family whos financial situations make my skin crawl. Do you try to tell her why this is so wrong or just cringe in silence?

Comment

I know it's family but I'd have to report that.
      "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Well, people think bankruptcy is no big deal because there was easy credit afterwards.

Those days are over and she'll learn that too.

Comment

She may have to give the fridge back, if she financed it.

Comment

i say let her learn. she thinks it's going to be easy? yeah well...!
            my mum went into bankruptcy (her ex ran up several credit cards, store cards and a telephone bill then left her with three kids and bills to pay) and i tell you, 10 years after its hard for her to do anything. every single financial form asks at some point or other 'have you ever been in bankruptcy?'. so i say, don't bother stressing, don't bother reporting, don't even other being disgusted, she's going to have one hell of a hard time when it's all over.

Comment

It sounds like your niece is trying to scam the system. I don't agree with it, and if she gets caught she will most likely not have the debt discharged.

Whitestripe I wonder if your mothers credit problems post bankruptcy are a result of too little income, or not paying current bills on time. I am about 4 years out of bankruptcy and have had a credit card for 3 years, purchased a new car 3 years ago, just purchased my first house (albeit with 20% down) in October , and have just secured some business lines of credit. It might be different in Austrailia, but the only type of credit I have been denied is a Bestbuy store card (one of the issuers I filed on).

Comment

This kind of stuff makes me sick too. I mean, you can't just keep filing bankruptcy so I hope she enjoys her "goodies" now.
                Last edited by Goldy1; 02-18-2009, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GREENBACK View Post
                  My father's girlfriend and her two kids by him were getting welfare/other assistance because welfare didn't know he was living with them. I believe it was one of his grown children who turned them in (not me, I knew about it after). What laziness, lack of morals, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GREENBACK View Post
                    Actually, a more distant family member said that he did, in fact, report her (anonymously, of course) situation to Social Services well over a year ago but nothing ever came of it.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyJef View Post
                      Actually, a more distant family member said that he did, in fact, report her (anonymously, of course) situation to Social Services well over a year ago but nothing ever came of it.
                      Social Services: Yet another overwhelmed, ineffective, unreliable gov't disaster. Way too many situations like the one you spoke of to comment on. But wait; The Obama Administration is providing more funding that should ensure that they continue the excellent job they are doing....yeah!!!
                      "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

I hope your sister hasn't sought legal assistance yet because if she has and that is the advice she has been given she may have a malpractice claim for bad legal advice. If she files a 13, she is still going to make payments on the items she still owes on. If she files a 7 then she may be looking to lose some of those items that she recently "purchased".

Comment

Originally posted by rizzmo View Post
                          It sounds like your niece is trying to scam the system. I don't agree with it, and if she gets caught she will most likely not have the debt discharged.

Whitestripe I wonder if your mothers credit problems post bankruptcy are a result of too little income, or not paying current bills on time. I am about 4 years out of bankruptcy and have had a credit card for 3 years, purchased a new car 3 years ago, just purchased my first house (albeit with 20% down) in October , and have just secured some business lines of credit. It might be different in Austrailia, but the only type of credit I have been denied is a Bestbuy store card (one of the issuers I filed on).
                          she doesnt have a credit card, hardly had any bills and they were all paid on time anyway (i think she had a water bill, and a gas bill). she was never denied anything, but always had to have extra documentationt to support everything.
                          so i would say that no, its not a result of little income or not paying bills on time, more to do with her banruptcy.

Comment

I deal with these kind of family situations be minding my own business. It really isn't any of your concern.

Comment

I'm disgusted about it, too. Maybe it should be reported to the police, since it is a criminal action. Not sure...
                              My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X