No announcement yet.

What do you earn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would minus income count in the under 25k category?

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
      Simple statistics... for any random sample group, a given variable will be distributed normally (in a bell-shaped curve).

I think the fact that our totally non-scientific poll appears to match that principle fairly well speaks to the fact that it's not just the low income earners who need help learning to save, or only the high earners who know what to do with their money. On these boards, we've got a pretty fair distribution of people, at least in terms of income, so I think that contributes to the variety of perspectives we get.

(proviso: as mentioned elsewhere, torture a statistic enough and you can get it to say anything you want. This result would look very different with a change so simple as using different levels/brackets. ... so obviously, take it for what it's worth.)
      Selection bias is at play in this poll, even if it appears to be "a pretty fair distribution of people". I'm sure Steve doesn't really care, but don't go abusing/"torturing" the results. Stats people don't like that

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        totally non-scientific poll
        Yes, folks. As stated, this is not a scientific poll. The results only reflect those who chose to answer. It is not even a random sampling of savingadvice members. Well, it might be, but there is no way to know that.

it's not just the low income earners who need help learning to save, or only the high earners who know what to do with their money. On these boards, we've got a pretty fair distribution of people, at least in terms of income, so I think that contributes to the variety of perspectives we get.
        This is exactly what I was thinking in starting this poll. Even though the poll isn't scientifically sound, the results still indicate a nice spread of incomes represented here. I agree that that contributes to a wide range of input and advice which is part of what makes this such a useful site.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by maat55 View Post
          Would minus income count in the under 25k category?
          negative income means you pay to work?

Comment

Poll

I voted, but mine is grossly under where it would be if I hadn't decided to start my own business and work from home, thanks to my husband.

Comment

Originally posted by jill8beans2 View Post
              I voted, but mine is grossly under where it would be if I hadn't decided to start my own business and work from home, thanks to my husband.
              This post intrigued me - can you clarify? You decided to start your own business and work from home and therefore your gross income has decreased grossly? Also, can you clarify the "thanks to my husband" part of the sentence? Are you blaming him or legitimately thanking him?

Comment

I think it would be a more useful chart if it had three sets of incomes followed by eitheir HCOL, MCOL, and LCOL areas just to have a better demographic understanding.

If one was making 100K in a HCOL would almost be in the same boat as another who makes 75K in a MCOL. (random guess here)

Comment

I voted, but we're jobless right now. Lovely.

Comment

Good question and interesting results

Comment

Working...
                    X