Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here though I have been reading the forum for some weeks already. I would like to post my budget and get some advices. For information, I am in Canada; I’m single, mid-thirties, no kids, no car, no student loans or any other debt (just one stupid CC).
I just want to give some information about my mortgage; most people will probably think it’s too much for my income. Regarding my house – well, I live in Toronto and you wouldn’t believe the prices in my city. There is NO WAY I could afford a house here, even a very small townhouse, for less than $350,000! I paid $230,000 for my condo, which was the absolute maximum I could afford. I am not going to lie; it’s a very nice condo, big and in a wonderful area (very very safe). I could have bought something cheaper, but again, I’m alone and I wanted the biggest investment of my life to be something where I could live forever (unless I get married in the future
).
So I bought a house 9 months ago – a condo actually – in an “expensive” area of my city (Toronto), so the mortgage was big and the payments are high. Downsize to a cheaper house is not really an option for me, living is this area allowed me to not need a car, I use public transportation and I consider my condo a huge investment (price increased $25,000 already). Not to mention the safety in my area, VERY important for a single woman living in the city. It was my option to live in this area and I’d rather cut costs in other areas of my life.
The condo fee is high but at the same time, not high at all. I remember seeing other condos – much smaller than mine, but newer, with more facilities in the buildings, etc – and the fees started at $600-800/month! It’s really ridiculous but this is how the market is now. As I said, my condo price is already $25,000 higher than what I paid 9 months ago, so it’s an investment. And I’m planning to stay here for at least a loooooonggggg time.
Anyway, here is my budget:
Income:
From my gross salary, I contribute 4% for my RRSP (retirement plan) and get a match from my company. After that and taxes (I pay a lot, maybe because I’m single?), I bring home a net monthly payment of $2,939.50
Expenses (monthly):
Savings: $200.00 (EF and Vacations)
Donation: $10.00
Mortgage: $1,341.99
Condo Fee: $374.68
Taxes: $152.63
Home Insurance: $10.32
Water heater rental: $10.39
Electricity (heating/AC):$100.00
Internet/Cable/Phone/Wireless: $125.00 (is that too much?)
Transportation (Bus): $100.00 (I keep my passes to write off at tax time)
Food/Drink/Cleaning supplies: $125.00
Pharmacy/Vision (I use lenses): $30.00
Rental Car (I rent a car once a month): $40.00 (rental+gas)
Entertainment (I eat out with my co-workers once a month): $15.00
Extra (blow money): $15
I have one CC with $8,400.00 balance at 4.99%. I have no idea how to calculate the minimum payment, last month my balance was $8,623.89 and the minimum was only $53.00 (I paid $223.89).
Please advise, I need help!
:-)
Thanks!
I just want to give some information about my mortgage; most people will probably think it’s too much for my income. Regarding my house – well, I live in Toronto and you wouldn’t believe the prices in my city. There is NO WAY I could afford a house here, even a very small townhouse, for less than $350,000! I paid $230,000 for my condo, which was the absolute maximum I could afford. I am not going to lie; it’s a very nice condo, big and in a wonderful area (very very safe). I could have bought something cheaper, but again, I’m alone and I wanted the biggest investment of my life to be something where I could live forever (unless I get married in the future
).So I bought a house 9 months ago – a condo actually – in an “expensive” area of my city (Toronto), so the mortgage was big and the payments are high. Downsize to a cheaper house is not really an option for me, living is this area allowed me to not need a car, I use public transportation and I consider my condo a huge investment (price increased $25,000 already). Not to mention the safety in my area, VERY important for a single woman living in the city. It was my option to live in this area and I’d rather cut costs in other areas of my life.
The condo fee is high but at the same time, not high at all. I remember seeing other condos – much smaller than mine, but newer, with more facilities in the buildings, etc – and the fees started at $600-800/month! It’s really ridiculous but this is how the market is now. As I said, my condo price is already $25,000 higher than what I paid 9 months ago, so it’s an investment. And I’m planning to stay here for at least a loooooonggggg time.
Anyway, here is my budget:
Income:
From my gross salary, I contribute 4% for my RRSP (retirement plan) and get a match from my company. After that and taxes (I pay a lot, maybe because I’m single?), I bring home a net monthly payment of $2,939.50
Expenses (monthly):
Savings: $200.00 (EF and Vacations)
Donation: $10.00
Mortgage: $1,341.99
Condo Fee: $374.68
Taxes: $152.63
Home Insurance: $10.32
Water heater rental: $10.39
Electricity (heating/AC):$100.00
Internet/Cable/Phone/Wireless: $125.00 (is that too much?)
Transportation (Bus): $100.00 (I keep my passes to write off at tax time)
Food/Drink/Cleaning supplies: $125.00
Pharmacy/Vision (I use lenses): $30.00
Rental Car (I rent a car once a month): $40.00 (rental+gas)
Entertainment (I eat out with my co-workers once a month): $15.00
Extra (blow money): $15
I have one CC with $8,400.00 balance at 4.99%. I have no idea how to calculate the minimum payment, last month my balance was $8,623.89 and the minimum was only $53.00 (I paid $223.89).
Please advise, I need help!
:-)
Thanks!

Comment