Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drips?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Drips?

    Hi Guys,

    I'm looking to get back into investing through DRIPS, does anyone have any good recommendations for websites that do this? Its been a while since I had a look at the field.
    Last edited by james.hendrickson; 08-31-2017, 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
    202.468.6043

    #2
    I moved this to the Investing forum for you.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
      Hi Guys,

      I'm looking to get back into DRIP investing through stocks, does anyone have any good recommendations for sites that do DRIP plan administration? Its been a while since I had a look at the field.
      For the public company you run?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Nutria View Post
        For the public company you run?
        What does this mean?
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


          #5
          @DisneySteve - thank you!

          @Nutria, lol, I wish. No, stocks are a hobby of mine. : )

          For example, Exxon Mobil has a pretty nice DRIP program through Computershare.com. You can get in with a small minimum and they automatically reinvest all the dividends. If you are budget constrained, this is one good way to get into mutual funds or blue chips.

          I guess the question was more if anyone else here was doing DRIP investing and if they've found good websites for it.
          Last edited by james.hendrickson; 08-31-2017, 11:48 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
          james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
          202.468.6043

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            What does this mean?
            DRIPs are run by (and thus administered by, which is what JH asked about) public companies.

            Or is JH asking for good brokerages for DRIPping?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Nutria View Post
              Or is JH asking for good brokerages for DRIPping?
              Yes, I think he was asking where to go to start investing in DRIPs.
              Steve

              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Nutria View Post
                DRIPs are run by (and thus administered by, which is what JH asked about) public companies.

                Or is JH asking for good brokerages for DRIPping?
                Sorry about this guys, sometimes I ask unclear questions. Pretty much what I was hoping to know is are there good websites (other than computershare.com) where you can get started in DRIPs?
                Last edited by james.hendrickson; 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
                james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                202.468.6043

                Comment


                  #9
                  Is there a difference between DRIP versus just reinvesting dividends?

                  I've done dividend reinvestments for my dividend paying stocks/ETFs in my sharebuilder/capital one and fidelity account.

                  I could do do it with Vanguard but that is another taxable account so I do not reinvest the dividends. It will make tax loss harvesting easier if needed and avoids small, fractional tax lots. Plus trades are free at Vanguard for my VTI holding so no real advantage for reinvesting the dividends right away.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jluke View Post
                    Is there a difference between DRIP versus just reinvesting dividends?
                    Yes. Dividend reimbursement plans are offered by the companies themselves. No broker is involved. No commission is involved. And sometimes you even get a discounted share price.
                    Steve

                    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      For DRIPS, at the moment I use Computershare and Wells Fargo Shareholder Online.

                      Computershare has been around forever, but they've been losing companies to other holding services that are probably giving the company better rates.

                      Wells Fargo Shareholder Online has an excellent list of companies available, but I have to say that their response time is extremely slow. But several of my existing holdings were transferred to them, so I'm hoping they improve.

                      https://www-us.computershare.com/investor

                      https://www.shareowneronline.com/Use...t/WFIndex.aspx

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by frugal saver View Post
                        For DRIPS, at the moment I use Computershare and Wells Fargo Shareholder Online.

                        Computershare has been around forever, but they've been losing companies to other holding services that are probably giving the company better rates.

                        Wells Fargo Shareholder Online has an excellent list of companies available, but I have to say that their response time is extremely slow. But several of my existing holdings were transferred to them, so I'm hoping they improve.

                        https://www-us.computershare.com/investor

                        https://www.shareowneronline.com/Use...t/WFIndex.aspx
                        I thought about Wells Fargo, but after their recent massive "zombie account" scandal, it is not clear if their brand is trustworthy.
                        Last edited by james.hendrickson; 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM. Reason: brevity
                        james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                        202.468.6043

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                          I thought about Wells Fargo, but after their recent massive "zombie account" scandal, it is not clear if their brand is trustworthy.
                          I've been a checking/credit card customer of theirs for many years and never have had a problem with them.

                          Actually I recently took a stock position in Wells Fargo, since they're down with all their problems. They'll survive, and hopefully I'll make money off of it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X