Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell financial adviser to go away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell financial adviser to go away?

I am moving my funds out of Edward Jones, I am done with them and their high fees. I get approached by these people all the time, as I know many people who work for them, and I'm tired of it. How to tell them that I'm done and to go away? They seem upset I won't give them my business. I even switched my accounts from one EJ office to another, at one point, because of a friend who began working for them and he needed the business (he got let go anyway because he couldn't meet quota). And now I find out all the hidden fees that EJ has charged me for many years. It's just all crazy and these people seem more like salespeople than financial advisers. How do I tell them I'm done and to go away?

You move your money out to another company. That is how you tell them. Answer one call after if you chose and explain you are taking charge of your own money. That is all they need to know. They are sales people that are only trying to do their job and earn their quotas.
    My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by creditcardfree View Post
      You move your money out to another company. That is how you tell them. Answer one call after if you chose and explain you are taking charge of your own money. That is all they need to know. They are sales people that are only trying to do their job and earn their quotas.
      That's right. They are salespeople, they remind me of people in MLM trying to recruit and make quota.

Comment

If they are calling you on the phone it might qualify for you saying do not call this number again, and if they do you will turn them in. All you can tell them is you made other plans that you are happy with and to stop bothering you. If they don't you could also send a letter to the main office, stating you have told these guys to get lost and they continue to bug you and if they don't quit you will file charges.

Seems like a lot of work, but I would think a company doesn't want the bad publicity just in case you are serious or not.

I know at one point years ago I kept getting phone calls about getting my newborn's photos done. New mothers get all sorts of calls! The interrupted me one to many times while nursing my baby and I told them stop calling or I would sue them and they were the last people in the world I would have doing my baby pictures. I guess they believed me as I was ticked and never got a call again and I kept my promise, I never used them either!
        Gailete
        http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

Block his phone number, that should be a clue that your finished
          retired in 2009 at the age of 39 with less than 300K total net worth

Comment

Originally posted by Gailete View Post
            If they are calling you on the phone it might qualify for you saying do not call this number again, and if they do you will turn them in. All you can tell them is you made other plans that you are happy with and to stop bothering you. If they don't you could also send a letter to the main office, stating you have told these guys to get lost and they continue to bug you and if they don't quit you will file charges.
            Thanks. These people know about caller ID, so they take a more direct approach - the EJ financial adviser will show up at my door, unannounced. He does door knocking in my neighborhood. We have a lot of elderly people in my area with money, accounts, etc. He often comes by just to say hello. I am home a lot during the day. I'll have to draw my curtain in front of the door, I guess, and leave it that way. I wish it were as simple as looking at caller ID but he really doesn't call, he comes by.

Comment

Then it is time for the direct approach as hard as it may be. You say, "Do not come here again." and shut the door. I have had to do that with all sorts of folks that show up for whatever reason.

Our homes, especially if we own it, are our private places and we don't have to let in any one that we don't want to. I used to have a very hard time saying no to people, but the older I get the more i can do it, and since they are not a dear friend, then I have every right to say, no you can't come in, and don't offer any excuse. If you say you are watching a TV show, they will want to come back when it is done, if you say you are about to take a shower, they'll be back, etc. so just say no and please do not come again.

The weirdest thing I ever saw with an insurance salesman was in the last home I lived in. From my couch, I had a direct view to the window in the front door and could see anyone that came up on the porch whether mailman or salesman. So, one day this guy came up on the porch, rang, the doorbell and was gone. I mean he didn't even wait 10 seconds. I managed to get to the door and open it before he was in his car to ask him what he wanted. He was collecting for an insurance policy we had at that point in time. That for sure was not the way to collect it! Also saw a mail person come up deliver the mail and leave. Went out and saw that he had left a 'sorry you were out card' for registered mail. I wasn't out, I was right their seeing him put that in the mailbox. I reported him at the PO. So, the ones you want to stop donít and the ones you donít do.
              Gailete

Comment

Originally posted by Learningmore View Post
                the EJ financial adviser will show up at my door, unannounced.
                That would only happen once at my house. If it ever happened again, I'd be calling the police, filing a complaint with the company, and getting a restraining order against them.

It boggles my mind that anyone in their right mind would ever voluntarily do business with sleaze like that.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

go away

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    That would only happen once at my house. If it ever happened again, I'd be calling the police, filing a complaint with the company, and getting a restraining order against them.

It boggles my mind that anyone in their right mind would ever voluntarily do business with sleaze like that.
                    Don't know the specifics of this particular situation, but making a front door sales call certainly isn't "sleazy". Bugging the heck out of you and coming back after you've asked them not to is.

I worked in sales for my own business for many years and actual cold calling was a very effective technique to actually get an opportunity to talk to a potential customer. Many tend to hide behind their caller ID or voice mailbox, and this is a way to make actual contact and have a conversation.

I've got a lot of respect for a sales person that goes out and beats the bushes to generate business. It's a tough business.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
                      Don't know the specifics of this particular situation, but making a front door sales call certainly isn't "sleazy".
                      I don't ever want anyone cold calling at my house, but I'm fine with it for things like landscapers, tree service, roofers, pavers, etc., the sorts of things where coming to the house at least makes sense to the business. And I've hired workers who have done that. I got our driveway coated just last month by a guy who rang the bell.

I think a supposed professional like a financial adviser ringing my bell looking for business is different. Doing a mailing to drum up business would be fine. A nice professional brochure and cover letter perhaps. Leave the door to door solicitation for the contractors.
                      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Doing a mailing to drum up business would be fine. A nice professional brochure and cover letter perhaps.
                        Total waste of time and money.
                        You'll take a glance at it and throw it in the trash.

Comment

That would be true for me. If I need someone or something I will look for them myself. I've found over the years, many sales people will lie and circumvent the truth to get their feet in the door and then start twisting the truth once they have an in, or they insult me by saying or acting like I don't know what I'm talking about. I do not like getting beseiged by kids either, trying to raise money for this and that for school. My kids are out of school at this point, yet we are still paying over $3K/year on school taxes and also school taxes on our rental property and the whole while we have had it, none of the tenants have had kids in school either. I guess I feel like we do our part every year.
                          Last edited by Gailete; 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM.
                          Gailete

Comment

Absolutely. But I'll also close the door in your face if you come knocking so that isn't a great use of your time either. Of course, I'm not the target audience for a financial salesperson.

At least the mailing presents your business in a positive and professional way. It doesn't come across as desperate or sleazy. Were I to actually be looking for a financial adviser, I'd be far more receptive to the mailing than to the guy ringing my bell out of the blue. That would be an immediate "no" in my book.
                            Steve

Comment

Although I understand they need to drum up business, I don't want to talk to them. And although most have been nice, a few have lied and such. One guy years ago, claimed our tree was "dying" and we should pay him to cut it down. We declined. Our tree is still in the front yard and is thriving.

Another person who was passing out fliers door to door, decided to take a cigarette break in my front yard, near my garden, and flicked her ashes into my plants. She wasn't even near the sidewalk, she was standing a foot away from my bedroom window. I asked her what she was doing, she just went to the next house. I took the flier off my door and called the business she worked for, and complained about what she'd done in my front yard. Their response was a sarcastic "well, what do you want us to do about it?" Not even an apology.

Comment

Working...
                              X