$100,000, where would you invest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100,000, where would you invest?

if you had $100,000 to invest, where would you invest to make the money work for you, make the money grow....

Re: $100,000, where would you invest?

I would put it into a mutual fund. But the way land is going up here, I might invest in land instead.

Comment

This is just too odd............I was going to post the same question today. My mom just got 100,000 from a sale of some property & wanted to know what to do with it. She is partial to doing something that will generate some income. Also have additional 100,000 we could combine to get more bang for her buck, so to speak. Ideas??

Comment

ethanol

Comment

Originally posted by Crystallas
          ethanol
          Powershares Clean Energy ETF (symbol PBW) might be a better bet. Article here.

Comment

What about ETF's?

Comment

I would be too scared to put that much money in the stock market all at one time, in one stock. I believe I would pick out a good mutual fund, and dollar cost average into it, a month at a time. I would keep the balance in one of the saving accounts paying 4.5%. and then add $5000-10,000 a month into that good mutual fund!

Comment

That's kind of funny, because I'd be scared to put it all into one mutual fund I'd probably spread it out over about 10 of them.

Comment

No guts, no glory.

Comment

I would do this. Put the 100,000 immediately into one of the banks giving you 5% APY while you do the research (this would get you about $415 monthly in cash easy). Next, decide if you want to be safe and steady or willing to take big risks for bigger potential rewards.

If safe and steady, buy about 5 mutual funds (a bit less than $20k each): something like PRWCX, PENNX, DODFX, PRNEX, and throw 20k into Treasury bills or bonds of choice also.

If you want big risks for big potential returns quickly, buy a couple of higher risk, sector funds like BUFTX, then throw the rest into some stocks that might explode. You want some names? look up and read like hell about the stocks, like AMAT, BSTE, FDC, WMI, MDT.

I'm the safe/steady type so I'm doing something like the former case, but I dream of swinging for the fences with the latter strategy (never done it though).

Comment

Originally posted by Sweepsplayer
                      Powershares Clean Energy ETF (symbol PBW) might be a better bet. Article here.

I put in about $6000 in pacific ethanol sometime late last year. Its up to about $8500.
                      So its been a good stock for me, but I've been thinking about PBW aswell.. I think it might be a bit inflated right now from marketting, and while it will be a great stock. I wont buy into them until the hype has lowered a bit. I think I can make a 5% or better diffrence by waiting a month.

Comment

Originally posted by pyotr
                        IYou want some names? look up and read like hell about the stocks, like AMAT, BSTE, FDC, WMI, MDT.
                        pretty good list.. add NRDXF.PK aswell. Seems like they are frontrunners to get the contract for NY states new energy act. If they dont, they still have the leading tech for wind power.

Comment

Originally posted by <><
                          if you had $100,000 to invest, where would you invest to make the money work for you, make the money grow....

Why not take the money and reinvest it in real estate?
                          I was raised to believe that nothing beats tangible real estate for investing.

Question: Wasn't it through real estate investing/selling that you made the money in the first place? Hmmm... :

Comment

Stocks.

Comment

I got into the stock market in the late ninties.I got burned, so I am stickiing to mutual funds. I have had good luck with vanguard Index funds, so I would probably stay with them. However, the way land is booming around here, I might use it for that. Problem is for $100,000 you can only buy one lot today!! (I sold 10 acres with a view and old house for $140,000 2 years ago. stupid me!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X