Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
    it saves us about $1500 a month
    That's insane. How much are you paying for insurance? Both our last plan and our current plan were right around $1,500/month total for the family.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      That's insane. How much are you paying for insurance? Both our last plan and our current plan were right around $1,500/month total for the family.
      We pay about $560 a month for a family of four. When we dropped Oh'Bummer care it was slightly over $2000.

Medishare is a religious organization plan which makes it exempt from ACA requirements. Of course that also means the premiums are not tax deductible, and you can't use an HSA with it.

Check it out - google Christian Medi Share.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
        Medishare is a religious organization plan which makes it exempt from ACA requirements. Of course that also means the premiums are not tax deductible, and you can't use an HSA with it.

Check it out - google Christian Medi Share.
        Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I didn't read all of the info but I'm guessing there isn't a ton of profit being made or a CEO earning millions so that keeps costs down. Plus the fact that they don't pay for any routine care makes it more of a catastrophic coverage plan.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I didn't read all of the info but I'm guessing there isn't a ton of profit being made or a CEO earning millions so that keeps costs down. Plus the fact that they don't pay for any routine care makes it more of a catastrophic coverage plan.
          That is correct. We have had this "insurance" (they don't call it insurance) for 2 years now and have been very pleased. For things that you will be out of pocket on, they really encourage you to shop around and give you tips on how to do so. Of course they also have the PHCS network.

They also have a program that, for a number of procedures, allows you to get the procedures at absolutely no cost if you have the procedure performed at one of their designated facilities (I would imagine they have negotiated very good rates at such facilities). So they kind of leave it in your hands to decide.

My wife's neck fusion was well over $100,000 in total, and 100% of it was paid after my $5000 household portion was met.

As part of their program, you agree to "clean living". No smoking or tobacco, go light on the booze, and they really encourage you financially (your monthly "share" (premium) amount is reduced) to participate in their wellness/health risk management program. My monthly share isn't currently reduced, as I haven't participated, but I should.

Some folks might find these things intrusive, but it's their playground. If you want to play in it, you play according to their rules. If you don't like their playground, go play in Obama's.
          Last edited by TexasHusker; 09-01-2017, 06:17 AM.

-George Carlin

Comment

One disclaimer: You can't hop onto this plan if you've got an ongoing condition - cancer, etc. - and expect them to pay. They have a phase-in period for pre-existing conditions. I'm not sure the specifics on that.

One family I know kept Oh'Bummer Care for their son for two years because he is diabetic, and also bought Medishare for him and after a couple of years I believe he was phased in and they dropped the Oh'Bummer Care.

-George Carlin

Comment

SHOP YOUR SLEEP STUDY ALERT

Sleep studies are a big profit center for hospitals and clinics these days. A few months ago, my doctor ordered a sleep study and made me an appointment at the local hospital's sleep center (his employer - what a coincidence).

The sleep study cash price was "only" $1500! Well, I did a little shopping around, and found a nifty business here called "Sleep 2 Go". They charge a $100 bill for your sleep study, and come to your house to set you up - you don't even have to leave your own bed.

So sure enough, they came at about 9pm, hooked up some wires, and told me to hit the sack. The next morning, I delivered the items back to their shop, they pulled the data in about 5 minutes, and said "yep, you have sleep apnea"!

So then I was to take the results back to my doctor so he could order me a prescription for a CPAP machine. That would be another $100 for an office visit. Or not. Sleep 2 Go has a nurse practitioner who looks at the results and writes you a prescription for a $20 bill. Nice.

So now I'm out $120. But what about the CPAP machine?

This is where Sleep 2 Go makes THEIR money: They offered me a "cash price" Fisher and Paykel with warranty for a rock bottom price of $990. Hmmm.

I went home and shopped around online and found the same unit at respshop.com for around $475 delivered!

A few days later, I had my machine. I plugged it in and slept like a baby. Sleep apnea resolved.

My total out-of-pocket for the entire affair was $595.

SHOP YOUR MEDICAL CARE!
              Last edited by TexasHusker; 09-02-2017, 08:33 AM.

-George Carlin

Comment

That's great TH! And this really highlights one of the biggest problems with our healthcare system. Most patients have insurance so they don't know or care what things cost. They just pay their copay and they're done. They don't care if the insurance company is paying $500 or $1,000 or $5,000.

You are paying of pocket so you have a strong incentive to shop around. And I'm sure the Internet has made that far easier than it used to be.
                Steve

Comment

Nope I said try the free market healthcare across us. Only way to work is to decouple employment and health insurance. Force everyone onto the markets and see what happens. It'd be interesting. I bet within 10 years we'd be socialized single payer.

I believe people think that everyone else is using insurance but not them. And that they pay so much more because of it. The reality is the opposite.
                  LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                    Nope I said try the free market healthcare across us. Only way to work is to decouple employment and health insurance. Force everyone onto the markets and see what happens. It'd be interesting. I bet within 10 years we'd be socialized single payer.

I believe people think that everyone else is using insurance but not them. And that they pay so much more because of it. The reality is the opposite.
                    I think we are headed for single payer whether we are for it or not. But I've thought that for about 20 years now.

-George Carlin

Comment

Well, I did a little shopping around, and found a nifty business here called "Sleep 2 Go". They charge a $100 bill for your sleep study, and come to your house to set you up - you don't even have to leave your own bed.
                      Coming late to this thread. I was ordered a sleep study a few years back. When I called the center (as far as I knew the only one in town) to see what the details were, I knew that there was no way in the world I would be able to do it. They expected me to go to bed about 4 hours sooner than normal, and then get up 3-4 hours sooner than normal. Because my husband is self-employed, we live a daily schedule for our own convenience. So, trying to go to bed that early was crazy and then expecting me to be up at 5:30 AM and leaving by 6AM. No way in the world. Then they talked about the 96 different leads I would have on me. I'm not sure how the next part works, but I'm usually up 1-10 times a night to the bathroom. Most of the time now, not so many, but in a strange place and a strange bed, I knew this chick wouldn't be sleeping at all. The tech that was telling me all this was a little surprised at my reaction and he said most people have no trouble falling asleep. I had been quoted $5-6K for this test. Medicare would be paying for it. Now that I am on MC I try to be very cognizant of what they are paying for me and it is your tax dollars at work. Once I learned more about the study and cancelled it and then explained to my doctor why at our next appointment. She was shocked also at the timing of the study. You would think that they would go along with the clients’ normal go to bed and wake up patterns. I think they were just trying to get around having employees working two shifts instead of a 12 hour or less one.

At one point she had me using supplemental O2 at home. Well and good except for the sound of the concentrator which was noisy and put as far away as possible. So I would finally go to sleep and wake up feeling like I was drowning as the water that accumulated in the tubing would be spit into my nose waking me up from a sound sleep not having any idea additionally what was going on. A couple of night of that in a row, we sent the O2 stuff back. I wasn’t going to spending the rest of my life with water being spit into my nose via the tubing collecting condensation and then deciding when I was really sound asleep give me a shower.

One year because I couldn’t afford one of meds, they tried me on other meds that gave me a lot of BAD side effects, that MC paid around $10K on tests. All I really needed was to be able to use my proper medication which I was finally able to get back on.

Let me say that these sorts of things and the cost of them, I was very aware of them, and I would cancel a test rather than try to take it and have MC get billed anyhow. I know that for the most part, I am not paying for most of my health care, so I try to never do things or take tests, that will be costing a bunch of money but aren’t going to be of any help to me. I realize that most people don’t think like that, but after years in the medical system and then being a patient myself, I decide what I need and don’t need. I knew even if somehow, they got decent results from the sleep test I was never going to be able to sleep at night with a CPAP machine on. So why take the test in the first place? I was one of those mom’s that would wake up out of a dead sleep when my kids were just making the first ‘hurling’ sound in the middle of the night, or would wake up and close windows at the first raindrop. How does one sleep in the midst of the racket that the different machines would make.

My husband who went without insurance for years, would call to price out whatever test the docs or dentist would advise. Most of the places would never give a straight answer or would lie and tell him the cheapest price for something, and then do the more expensive one. It was very frustrating. The worst was trying to cost out a CT scan. They medical offices and hospitals do not make any of this easy to find out.

Sorry so long.
                      Gailete
                      http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

Working...
                      X