Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Employer Supplemented Inurance - 2020 Health/Dental/Vision budget for 56 yo couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The insurance market arguably worked a lot better pre-ACA. You had to work pretty hard to have interrupted coverage beyond the COBRA period.

That is because, at least in Texas, if you wanted insurance, you could get it. Even if you were self employed, there were associations, trade groups co-ops, etc. that you could easily plug into and get on a group plan.

Many uninsureds were uninsured by choice, just as they are now.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

One additional thought: when you changed jobs, you were eligible to hop onto their insurance with no pre-ex by providing a letter of credible coverage. Federal law.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
        One additional thought: when you changed jobs, you were eligible to hop onto their insurance with no pre-ex by providing a letter of credible coverage. Federal law.
        Except at many jobs, you aren't eligible for coverage until after your 3-month probationary period. Most people can't afford COBRA so changing jobs means going uninsured for 3 months. Then the waiver of pre-existing conditions probably didn't apply because you weren't going from one plan directly to another.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Many uninsureds were uninsured by choice, just as they are now.
          If by "choice" you mean they couldn't afford it and still be able to pay rent and buy food, then yes, it was by choice.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

at least in Texas, if you wanted insurance, you could get it.
            Just understand that the insurance landscape was and is very different in different states. As I said, most of the states in the northeast didn't have the pools you spoke of earlier, just as one example.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Except at many jobs, you aren't eligible for coverage until after your 3-month probationary period. Most people can't afford COBRA so changing jobs means going uninsured for 3 months. Then the waiver of pre-existing conditions probably didn't apply because you weren't going from one plan directly to another.
              COBRA was certainly no more expensive than ACA.

IIRC, there was no probationary period when credible coverage was evidenced.

We will have to agree to disagree on ACA. I believe it was designed as a new tool for bureaucrats and elitists to “help”, thereby control, the electorate. I know that you have seen benefits from it.

But bureaucrats creating health insurance plans is akin to them creating a care plan for your patients.

The government is in place to govern, not fetter. Sadly, once the fettering is done, it isn’t easily undone.

Most of the financial crises that have occurred in our country can be traced back to government reaching into and disrupting free markets.

- housing crisis - loose underwriting
              - student loan guarantees
              - buying back its own bonds to artificially keep interest rates low and the stock markets soaring
              - Obamacare

The next recession should prove interesting, as several of these interventions are certain to come home to roost.

Comment

Working...
              X