2017 Halloween Spending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Halloween Spending?

How much are the SA forum members spending this year for Halloween?

The scfr household spent $16 on treats for the trick-or-treaters.

A few big bags of candy. I don't know how much DW spent on them...

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post
      A few big bags of candy. I don't know how much DW spent on them...
      Same here...I think 3 bags 150pieces each. Last year we did 4 bags and by the end of the night I was having kids take multiple handfuls.

Comment

$0

I don't get trick-or-treaters where I live. I'm too far out in the country.
        Brian

Comment

We bought a bag of candy the other day. I think it was $10 with a coupon at BJ's.

The only other vaguely Halloween thing we got this year was 2 light up Disney-themed plastic pumpkins. We won them at a charity raffle earlier this month. I can't really count that as "Halloween" spending because we would have bought the raffle tickets no matter what.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

About $30. $12 for a tube of 100 glow-stick bracelets, $8 for a Costco box of fruit snacks, and about $10 for a used Mickey Mouse costume for our 2 y/o. Our 4mo old is wearing his brother's costume (a one-piece frog suit) from 2 years ago. Last year, we all dressed up as Peanuts characters (Linus for the then-1-year-old, Lucy for DW, Schroeder for myself). Again very inexpensive "costumes", most of which was clothing we already owned, plus 2 cheap wigs for DW & I.

I'm not a huge Halloween fan. I've got a wicked sweet tooth/happy-little-fat-kid-inside just as much as the next guy... But Halloween ends up with just too much candy all at once (speaking as a parent, past trick-or-treater, and current treat-hand-outer). That's the reason we hand out glow sticks (added benefit: safer trick-or-treating by being a bit more visible) and fruit snacks (slightly less-bad for kids than chocolate bars).

Besides, costumes (masks/facepaint specifically) kind of freak me out for some (completely irrational) reason.
            Last edited by kork13; 10-30-2017, 10:27 AM.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
              The only other vaguely Halloween thing we got this year was 2 light up Disney-themed plastic pumpkins. We won them at a charity raffle earlier this month
              That reminds me, I need to find my light-up plastic pumpkin (of Disney's Goofy) that I have from when I was a kid... Hopefully I still have it somewhere... If so, that will be the extent of our Halloween decorations, though I've considered getting some of the colored light bulbs for our porch light. If I do go for the bulbs, I'll likely get a few colors (orange, yellow, red, green at least) to have them for Christmas as well (which may possibly be the full extent of our outdoor decorative Christmas lights).

Can you tell I'm not one for highly commercialized holidays? That's alot of the reason I love Thanksgiving so much... 1) DELICIOUS FOOD!! 2) I get to cook alot of that food. 3) It's all about family, friends, and being grateful for who/what you have. 4) Very little commercialization besides at grocery stores for the seasonal food stuffs, and the utterly ridiculous "pumpkin spice" craze.
              Last edited by kork13; 10-30-2017, 10:24 AM.
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

$9 for a big bag of candy and about $35 for costumes. 2 out of our 3 kids is wearing a new costume, our youngest is wearing a hand me down from a couple years ago.
                Budget Kitty - Family Finances in Plain English

Comment

I think we spent about $15 on candy - one giant variety bag and a smaller bag of Snickers because I like Snickers. I also spent $6 on a pumpkin to carve because the deer kept eating any pumpkin in our garden that threatened to get big enough to carve.

My mom made my daughter's Minnie Mouse costume and bought all the materials. I'm not sure what she paid, but I think she kept it under $30. She was very proud of herself for finding official mouse ears on Ebay for $5.

Comment

I accidentally spent $240 on my daughter's costume because we forgot to return the one that didn't fit. No matter, I can sell the extra one because it is a cosplay outfit and those kooks dress up all year. I spent $20 on 8 lbs of Air Heads. My daughter says it isn't going to be enough, but it is supposed to be close to freezing here. I think we will be eating Air Heads until 2018, but she is ok with that. We spent $58 on pumpkins. We like them big. I have spent probably around $150 on decorations this year, mostly bought during last year's clearance sales. Our skeletons usually fight over a pumpkin or a card game in our window. This year they will be breaking up a dog/cat fight.

That doesn't include the 15 passenger van we rented this weekend to take our family to the decorated houses this year. Or the hot chocolate, sparkling cider, snacks, donations, and gas. That was about $200.

Comment

$9 on candy yesterday from target. $20 for DK2 costume, DK1 got for free because store made a mess of the order. They cancelled it after saying it was in stock online then had to reorder it and I got it for free. Now if I can stop eating the candy....
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I bought a 120 pound pumpkin for my front flower bed. It cost me 50 bucks and I darn near busted a hernia getting it to the flower bed.

Go big or go home.
                        How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                          I bought a 120 pound pumpkin for my front flower bed. It cost me 50 bucks and I darn near busted a hernia getting it to the flower bed.

Go big or go home.
                          We bought a convertible hand truck just to move our pumpkins. It turns out to be good for other things too, but mostly it is a pumpkin mover.

Comment

Probably around $13 for candy and that's it. No more little kids going out trick or treating to buy costumes for and I never even got a pumpkin this year. Just not in the mood for decorating. Well I did decorate, but fall things that I can just keep up for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I find as the years go buy I don't enjoy decorating for all the holidays like I used to. Maybe if they were a little more spread out instead of all on top of each other, halloween, thanksgiving & christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                              We bought a convertible hand truck just to move our pumpkins. It turns out to be good for other things too, but mostly it is a pumpkin mover.
                              Good idea!
                              How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Working...
                              X