Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know how health insurance really works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
    I got DH's first paystub this week and I saw what it looks like. We are paying $128/per pay period for our family medical. About the same as before for similar coverage.
    What would be interesting to see is what is the employer contribution to your medical is.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Exactly. And it's really not that hard to adjust your income to get under the cap in most cases, especially if you're close.
      Hopefully, no unexpected capital gains. Or, you decide to sell your house and you have big gains.....you'd have to time your big financial moves correctly.

When you get into Medicare territory, you another set of hoops to avoid triggering IRMAA.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I recently priced out ACA plans.

Silver: Starts at $1,565/month with $2,500 deductible and $8,550 max out of pocket.
        Gold: Starts at $3,120/month with $950 deductible and $4,500 max out of pocket.

With the subsidy, those rates drop to $500 for Silver and $2,055 for Gold.

What are you coinsurance percentages? Is that deductible and max out of pocket per person, or household?
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

Hopefully, no unexpected capital gains. Or, you decide to sell your house and you have big gains.....you'd have to time your big financial moves correctly.

When you get into Medicare territory, you another set of hoops to avoid triggering IRMAA.
          For sure. There are many sites devoted to just these topics. The early retirement forums are filled with these discussions.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

What are you coinsurance percentages? Is that deductible and max out of pocket per person, or household?
            I'm not sure. That's the only info I saw on the HealthSherpa quotes. I have to dig in deeper to get more details.

ETA: Deductible and OOP Max is per person
            Labwork is free
            Imaging is 50% after deductible
            Hospital is 20% after deductible
            Last edited by disneysteve; 03-04-2021, 11:26 AM.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

What would be interesting to see is what is the employer contribution to your medical is.
              Employer contribution is 800.29/pay period for medical for family of 4. So (800*26)/12 = $1733/month in medical premiums.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
              X