Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government set to pay 100% of people salary on unemployment for 4 months....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government set to pay 100% of people salary on unemployment for 4 months....

I think the unemployment portion of the bill may be excessive.... the point of unemployment is to allow people to get by while they're unemployed and looking for work. Not give them 100% of their working salary for 4 months, encouraging them to stay unemployed. The new federal stimulus is pushing unemployment in my state up to $5.4K/month or $65k/year from $2.6k/month or $33.5k/year. What business would continue to struggle to keep people employed when they can just lay people off and have the government pay them to stay home?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/polit...rus/index.html

I think this is an unprecedented situation.

Most of the people unemployed now aren't there by choice. They aren't there because they don't want to work. They are there because there was a mass nationwide shutdown of virtually all business activity. As soon as that shutdown ends, businesses are going to need all of those workers back, or at least the vast majority of them.

My daughter filed for unemployment a few days ago. Her job closed last Saturday. Most of the staff is hourly workers except the management. As soon as they are able to reopen and start operating again, they will need everyone back (assuming the customers return).

I know several other people who are currently unemployed. Every single one of them can't wait to get back to work. They're all hoping they will still have jobs when this ends. The instant they get the call back, they're going back to work, not staying out collecting benefits.

There have always been people who took advantage of unemployment and there will continue to be, but this situation is completely different than normal everyday stuff.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I am happy to still be working.
      While 100% of my salary on unemployment would certainly be nice, I'd still be hoping to return to work as soon as possible

Brian

Comment

Agree with you DS, to a point... But if those numbers are accurate, can we not all agree that it's excessive? Yes, the unemployment benefit is a safety net for many, and a valuable one to prevent rampant societal problems. And yes, this period of unemployment is directly the result of government restrictions. But unemployment should be there to sustain life--not lifestyle. I have every desire to support a family struggling with job loss, but it's on them to buckle down & focus on essentials, not continuing to order takeout, going to movies, & shopping for new clothes.

An average family of four can easily live on $3k/month. Just look at your own basic expenses for food, housing, utilities, and transportation (+insurance). My family has a monthly income of nearly $15k/mo, but those essential (and generously allotted) expenses are still only $3600/mo, not including spending reductions driven by isolating our family from the world. The rest is consumed in savings, taxes, charity, entertainment/eating out, and random miscellaneous spending...little-to-none of which a family on unemployment should be spending money on!
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
          unemployment should be there to sustain life--not lifestyle.

An average family of four can easily live on $3k/month. Just look at your own basic expenses for food, housing, utilities, and transportation (+insurance).
          This is highly dependent on where you live. Midwest? Sure. Manhattan? Not a chance.

We live in southern NJ.
          Mortgage (PITI): $1,400 (we've paid it off so now just TI which is $700).
          Gas, electric, water, and sewer: $350
          Life, disability, and auto insurance: $800

So that's over $2,500 right there and I haven't included food or gas, or health insurance, which is a huge expense, or a bunch of other smaller things. $3,000 wouldn't even come close, and we're only a family of 3.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

With the way the senate bill is worded, you can get paid more not working than you would while you were working. There's no limit to the amount you can go over the working salary. Say you worked a $7.50 job and got laid off. Now you're collecting state unemployment plus $600 federal per week. Probably something like $3900/month. I already know of people that are looking at this bill and WANT to get unemployed rather than working short staffed or with some limited hours. 4 months of 100% of your working pay or even more? That doesnt include other extensions to unemployment, that's just the bonus unemployment. If someone offers them a job 1 month into the unemployment, would they take it, knowing they have another 3 months of fully paid "vacation"?

Comment

Like Steve said there will always be people that take advantage of the system and what you can live on is relative to where you live. My wife and I are lucky to live in a small town in Michigan and our $75k a year combined salary affords is to pay our bills plus save money. Granted we don’t have any kids either.

You could compare this to the $1,200 the government is giving people/couples. My wife and I don’t need that money because we have an EF fund and are still working during this pandemic since we work in a grocery store but we are still getting it and we will take the $1,200. I mean how many people here are going to get that money but don’t really need it? A lot of people do need it but some don’t and it’s just easier for the government to send it to everybody that meets the requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by skives View Post
                You could compare this to the $1,200 the government is giving people/couples. My wife and I don’t need that money because we have an EF fund and are still working during this pandemic since we work in a grocery store but we are still getting it and we will take the $1,200.
                The point of the stimulus payment isn't to give it only to people who need it. It's to give it to everyone who meets the income requirement to get them out spending money. Sure, you don't need it, but if you use that money to go out to eat, you're helping struggling restaurant workers and owners. If you buy theater tickets, you're helping the people who work there. If you take a weekend getaway, you're helping the hotel industry get back on its feet.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

The point of the stimulus payment isn't to give it only to people who need it. It's to give it to everyone who meets the income requirement to get them out spending money. Sure, you don't need it, but if you use that money to go out to eat, you're helping struggling restaurant workers and owners. If you buy theater tickets, you're helping the people who work there. If you take a weekend getaway, you're helping the hotel industry get back on its feet.
                  The problem with that is we will most likely save that money, invest or pay down the mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by skives View Post

The problem with that is we will most likely save that money, invest or pay down the mortgage.
                    Probably true of many here, but we all know we aren't the typical Americans.

It doesn't matter to me as we won't get the checks, though my daughter will. I'm glad for that since she is out of work due to the Coronavirus shutdown.
                    Steve

Comment

$3k doesn't work depending on where you live.
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X