six to eight weeks for delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

six to eight weeks for delivery

Reading the current thread about Black Friday and ordering online versus buying in town made me remember with a silent chuckle that when I was a kid (I'm 60) my sibs and I used to mail order items advertised on Cheerios boxes. We must have bought six Frisbees that way.

You'd collect a certain number of box tops, send in a quarter or two, depending on how many box tops you mailed in, and wait. Instructions always said to wait six to eight weeks for delivery. Seems to me it really did take that long.

We ordered little toys by sending in Bazooka Joe bubble gum wrappers that way, too. I recall having gotten a couple of gold tone circle pins and two "weather poodles," ceramic dogs which turned pink or blue according to humidity supposedly as an indication of fair or rainy weather ahead. I had two of each of those because I liked the first so much that it was worth it to wait six to eight weeks a second time.

Yah, times have changed. I don't think many little kinds even know how to address an envelope now. Do they know anything about waiting two months for a small item?
    "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

I’m 53 and I too remember 6-8 weeks. Times have changed (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post

Do they know anything about waiting two months for a small item?
      Probably not...but I hope they never have to know what its like to wait 2 months for a small item. Those kind of slow times are completely unnecessary now. Although, it was probably unnecessary then yet it was the norm. Ordering things via snail mail was inefficient.

Comment

Ah, this brings back memories. I got many many things by mailing in boxtops and later UPC symbols for premiums from cereal, film, and other products. And yes, 6-8 weeks was the standard back then. I'm 55 so same age group.

Ordering online is totally different. Heck, now we get annoyed when we order from some company other than Amazon and they say 5-7 days for shipping. I'm used to placing my order, getting an instant confirmation, getting a shipping notice about an hour later, and getting the item by the next day.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

A couple years ago I ordered something online and immediately my son (3 yrs old at the time) said let’s go to the mailbox and get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
            A couple years ago I ordered something online and immediately my son (3 yrs old at the time) said let’s go to the mailbox and get it.
            Amazon isn’t quite there yet.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
            X