Frugal vs Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frugal vs Cheap

On a thread in the Q&A board someone brought up that frugal is not cheap and gave an example. I'd love to hears people's examples that show the line between cheap and frugal. For starters

Frugal is using a coupon/groupon or going during happy hour. Cheap is under tipping.

Frugal is hosting a potluck. Cheap is bringing 1 bag of chips to dinner.

Frugal is maintaining your appliances and shopping around for replacements. Cheap is avoiding maintenance and living without necessities.

Any others?

Frugal is sharing a ride. Cheap is never kicking in on the gas money.

Frugal is carefully reviewing and paying your bills as they come due. Cheap is trying to get out of paying them.
    "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

frugal is buyin good quality so you wont have to replace or at least not as often

Comment

I agree with irmanator. Cheap is focusing on price. Frugal is focusing on value.

Example:

Since getting married 18 years ago, we've bought 2 or 3 cheap sets of cookware. Each lasted a few years and then started wearing out. Finally, about 4 years ago, we bought a not-cheap set of good quality cookware. We did find a good deal on it and paid about 25% less than the usual retail price. But we use that stuff almost every day and it still looks brand new. It will probably last forever. We will no longer need to buy a new cheap set every 4 or 5 years.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Cheap is keeping your heat so low your freezing in your own house. Frugal is keeping the heat at a number were its still comfortable.

Comment

Cheap is relative to my time IMO. Two examples of cheap come from the same friend. Him driving 25 miles out of his way for a free haircut. I don't mind cutting hair (more of a hobby) or the company, but his drive is from the opposite side of town. The other is not spending $140 for a lower ball joint replacemtn on his car, at my friends shop. Only to be down for 3 days without a car since he couldn't figure out how to take out himself.
            "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by moneyclass View Post
              Cheap is keeping your heat so low your freezing in your own house. Frugal is keeping the heat at a number were its still comfortable.
              I'm guilty of this
              "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Frugal is me when I don't want to spend money.
                Cheap is the other guy who doesn't want to spend as much as me!!

Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by irmanator View Post
                  frugal is buyin good quality so you wont have to replace or at least not as often
                  Frugal living is not as bad as most think it is. It is just a matter of living within your means. Not wasting hard earned money on something that is not a necessity to buy is never bad at all. Be a spend-thrift and soon enough the little $ you save will have its worth too.

Comment

Originally posted by cschin4 View Post
                    Frugal is me when I don't want to spend money.
                    Cheap is the other guy who doesn't want to spend as much as me!!

Ha!
                    lmao, (guilty, sometimes)

Comment

Originally posted by jerrycates View Post
                      Frugal living is not as bad as most think it is. It is just a matter of living within your means. Not wasting hard earned money on something that is not a necessity to buy is never bad at all. Be a spend-thrift and soon enough the little $ you save will have its worth too.
                      Just wondering why you quoted mine in this? What does this have to do with my statement?

I wasn't complaining......

Comment

Frugal is storing food in an ice cellar for winter. Cheap is not helping your friends out when they need cash.

Comment

Well, the thing is, they are not necessarily one and the same. In fact, you can still live a frugal life while still being able to enjoy a few expensive items, the idea here is having a good amount of self control

Comment

Originally posted by economicalman21 View Post
                            Frugal is storing food in an ice cellar for winter. Cheap is not helping your friends out when they need cash.
                            Being frugal is more bearable than being cheap

Comment

Originally posted by economicalman21 View Post
                              Cheap is not helping your friends out when they need cash.
                              I'd have to disagree with that one. I don't think not giving friends cash is cheap. I think that is smart.
                              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                              X