Is phone considered a need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is phone considered a need?

I never use my phone and could save $40 per month. My only understanding where a phone would be invaluable is during emergencies. For communication with family and friends, I just use facebook or email. My question is not having the ability to dial 911 worth saving money?

Why not just get a prepaid cell phone? That way, you only pay for minutes actually used. I'm sure you wouldn't spend $40/month but you'd still have a phone available if needed.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I really depends on your situation. You might not need not, but others will have to have some type of phone. My students are all in the construction field, and without a phone they don't get called for jobs...

Comment

I have considered that option Steve. What company and plan do you recommend? Not sure which company, but I heard there's one where you prepay the minutes and the phone is only $20.

Comment

Originally posted by cooliemae View Post
          I really depends on your situation. You might not need not, but others will have to have some type of phone. My students are all in the construction field, and without a phone they don't get called for jobs...
          This might change later when my small business picks up but I do all my communication by email.

Comment

Originally posted by frito833 View Post
            I have considered that option Steve. What company and plan do you recommend? Not sure which company, but I heard there's one where you prepay the minutes and the phone is only $20.
            I'm not that familiar with them myself. Perhaps you should start a new thread asking about prepaid plans. I'm sure others know more about it.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Depends. I need a cell phone if I am looking for a job. I want to be available to headhunters and to companies for phone interviews. A lot of my DH's job interviews had a 30 minute preliminary phone interview and then they called back to set up a real interview.

Just a consideration. So maybe other companies work differently and only do email or in person interviews.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                Depends. I need a cell phone if I am looking for a job. I want to be available to headhunters and to companies for phone interviews. A lot of my DH's job interviews had a 30 minute preliminary phone interview and then they called back to set up a real interview.

Just a consideration. So maybe other companies work differently and only do email or in person interviews.
                LOL. this happened to me 2 years ago. I gave them my parent's number. Not a good impression when my dad picks up the phone and yells across the house, "Son, you got a phone interview!" However, I did land the job.

Comment

A phone a need? In one word, yes, but define need. We need food. I didn't need the chicken soup and cherry pie I just ate. I could have ate cheaper on beans and rice.

I use a cell phone and ditched the land line years ago. I have a plan with low minutes since I don't talk on the phone a lot. I use the phone more on free times like weekends.
                  I use a phone for jobs, calling work, calling insurance companies, etc etc. I need to communicate with spouse.
                  I think there are phones people donate which are set to only dial 911 but they are for eldery or women in abusive relationships.

I don't need my dog either, and he costs me money but he stays too

There are so many dumb things we don't need. Like my dh wanted to buy liquid fabric softener at Sam's and it was like $20. I never used it growing up and I told him I don't need to pour chemicals on my clothes. I do use dryer sheets, but they prevent static cling.
                  I don't need Netflix either. What else don't I need? oh a tv in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldy1 View Post
                    A phone a need? In one word, yes, but define need. We need food. I didn't need the chicken soup and cherry pie I just ate. I could have ate cheaper on beans and rice.

I use a cell phone and ditched the land line years ago. I have a plan with low minutes since I don't talk on the phone a lot. I use the phone more on free times like weekends.
                    I use a phone for jobs, calling work, calling insurance companies, etc etc. I need to communicate with spouse.
                    I think there are phones people donate which are set to only dial 911 but they are for eldery or women in abusive relationships.

I don't need my dog either, and he costs me money but he stays too

There are so many dumb things we don't need. Like my dh wanted to buy liquid fabric softener at Sam's and it was like $20. I never used it growing up and I told him I don't need to pour chemicals on my clothes. I do use dryer sheets, but they prevent static cling.
                    I don't need Netflix either. What else don't I need? oh a tv in general.
                    I define a need as anything you need to live. Food, utilities, house, and clothes. So I guess not having the ability to dial 911 could be a need because you could put your life in jeopardy. Only extra expense I have is Internet because my work/business requires it.

Comment

Well I need a phone or else I can't get and keep my job. So I think it's a need because it gets me a paycheck! Like a car or a public transit pass. I don't need to ride in a car or bus, I could bike, but I find it easier to get to work. Just like I find it easier to find a job or contact my job and keep my job for the paycheck!
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Have you heard of VOIP service? Phone service delivered via internet. The individual/business you call receives your call over their normal phone.
                        Vonage - A Better Way to Phone for Less
                        It's v/inexpensive and people can call you!

Comment

Yeah, I heard of Vonage and my cousin recommended it. $30 per month isn't too bad. What about magicjack? Same technology I think.

Comment

Originally posted by frito833 View Post
                            I never use my phone and could save $40 per month. My only understanding where a phone would be invaluable is during emergencies. For communication with family and friends, I just use facebook or email. My question is not having the ability to dial 911 worth saving money?
                            The pre-pay phone cards vary in price with minutes expiring after a period of time. If you're not using the cell phone, I think it's Verizon that offers $100 card that expires after one year.

As someone else mentioned, there's VOIP with some of the services even free.

As for emergency use, how is cell phone reception. And if you lose electricity, you lose VOIP. For some reason, land-line phones seem more reliable than anything else.

But if it's a true emergency, what about neighbors? Maybe a cheap CB radio?

I think someone told me that even an unactivated cell phone will still make calls to 911. Unless it's a very old phone, it will have GPS for police to use.

Get hold of someone's old cell phone they don't use. 911 won't get angry if you call and explain you are making a test call. I've called them on my regular phone to verify the Caller ID was correct and no one got upset at my call.

-Dave
                            Affordable Alternative Dental Insurance - Employee Dental Vision Health Benefits for Small Businesses

Comment

Phone?

I think a phone is a need, but to each their own. And really, you wouldn't even need a prepaid cell phone to dial 911. Any old phone, even if it's not activated can call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X