Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro-Tip: The Day AFTER Halloween Is The Time to Buy Candy

All,

Was just in my local Kroger, and saw that since its Halloween, they were trying to unload their candy at at discount. So, I started chatting with the cashier and the floor manager. They basically told me that Kroger is going to start unloading all their holiday sweets - and probably also their Halloween paraphernalia - at a 50% discount starting 11/1.

I'd bet most of the grocery stores are doing this. An idea might be to stock up now - and hold onto the stuff for next year.

james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

This happens after every holiday like Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Easter. I wouldn’t recommend giving out year old candy though.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Happens every year.
      Like Steve said, not sure I'd pass out year old candy though.

The day after holidays is a good day to stock up on non perishables however.
      Wrapping paper, ornaments, etc.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        This happens after every holiday like Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Easter. I wouldn't recommend giving out year old candy though.
        Yes, but if your holiday baking uses candies at all, it's a great opportunity to stock up. Your cookies won't know that those Snickers had a Halloween wrapper.

That's really the biggest issue -- because they use seasonal candy wrappers, the groceries have to offload them. In a way, it's basically the producers (Mars, Hershey, etc.) forcing the hand of groceries to discount their excess then buy more of the next seasonal bag (or at least more of the non-seasonal stuff). Would make alot more sense to just never stock the seasonal stuff. 98% of people would buy the regular stuff to handout, then groceries wouldn't be forced to slash prices on what remained.
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I know you can freeze meat and store it for up to 3 to 5 years, can you do the same with chocolate?

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
            I know you can freeze meat and store it for up to 3 to 5 years, can you do the same with chocolate?
            You can freeze chocolate and it's perfectly fine to eat but tends to get discolored with white spots so not good if you want to give it out or use for something where people would notice that.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

You can freeze chocolate and it's perfectly fine to eat but tends to get discolored with white spots so not good if you want to give it out or use for something where people would notice that.
              That's because of the lipids in the chocolate, correct?

Comment

I thought meat had to be eaten within 6 months? I managed to get away with only 1 small bag of candy given out!
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I've always loved a good deal on candy but in my later age...my health doesn't love it as much as my wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodLiving View Post
                    I've always loved a good deal on candy but in my later age...my health doesn't love it as much as my wallet.
                    Totally, I feel the same way. Its like why do you want to scarf down a bunch of sugar, then have your blood sugar crash. Far better to maintain your energy and eat healthy.

Comment

Working...
                    X