What Frugal Thing Did You Do Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Frugal Thing Did You Do Today?

Since frugality seems to be a way of life for a lot of people on the forums, what did you do today that was frugal?

For me, I walked to work yesterday instead of driving. I saved $15 bucks on parking and probably 70 cents on gas.
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Well it wasn't exactly done today but 6 of us went to an escape room tonight. We paid with gift cards that I bought back in April when they were having a great sale - $100 worth for $44. I bought $400 worth and my friend bought $200. We used $300 tonight and have $300 left for next time. But we only paid 44 cents on the dollar so the $600 of cards only cost $264. We saved $336.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Harvested and dehydrated wild greens that can be added to dishes in winter.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
        Harvested and dehydrated wild greens that can be added to dishes in winter.
        Joan, you guys must have an electric dryer.

Comment

We have three electric dryers, James. I want a big solar dryer with which we could dry many pounds of fruit at a time (small orchard), but I can't think of a handy place to put it when not in use.
          Plans for building solar cookers, solar ovens, and solar food dryers.
          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

I've been picking wild blackberries this week. We made three pies the other day, gave two to friends and working on one.
            Now I've picked another another 3-4 quarts we need to do something with.

Comment

This was yesterday but ... my leisure activities consisted of taking my dog on 2 walks, enjoying materials from the library (book & DVD), and listening to music CDs that matched my mood and kept me going while doing chores around the house.

Comment

I bought an adult paint by number that came yesterday. The brushes that come with it aren't great so I went over to the craft store today to buy a couple of good ones. They were $3.99 each and I had two 50% off coupons so basically BOGO.
                Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Just mixed a fresh bottle of DIY daily shower spray. Took a couple minutes, saved a couple bucks, environmental bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                    Just mixed a fresh bottle of DIY daily shower spray. Took a couple minutes, saved a couple bucks, environmental bonus.
                    Please share the recipe if you get a chance, I just dropped 3 bucks on shower spray last week.

Comment

I second James' request for the recipe.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Please share the recipe if you get a chance, I just dropped 3 bucks on shower spray last week.
                        2-1/4 cup water
                        1-1/2 cup white vinegar
                        3/4 cup rubbing alcohol
                        1-1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap

Shake gently to mix.

I don't use any fragrance.

These proportions are what fill my bottle perfectly. Adjust to your needs.

I'm not really a DIYer when it comes to cleaning products; usually I just buy a good concentrate and mix with water to save cost and packaging.
                        But daily shower spray was an obvious choice for DIYing since I'm not aware of a concentrate option and it's used every day.

Since we're talking about frugal cleaning ... I also recommend the microfiber cloths that you find in the automotive section at Costco. They are much bigger & cheaper than anything you'll find in a cleaning section. I've been using them for decades.

Last edited by scfr; 07-24-2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

2-1/4 cup water
                          1-1/2 cup white vinegar
                          3/4 cup rubbing alcohol
                          1-1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap

Shake gently to mix.

I don't use any fragrance.

These proportions are what fill my bottle perfectly. Adjust to your needs.

I'm not really a DIYer when it comes to cleaning products; usually I just buy a good concentrate and mix with water to save cost and packaging.
                          But daily shower spray was an obvious choice for DIYing since I'm not aware of a concentrate option and it's used every day.

Since we're talking about frugal cleaning ... I also recommend the microfiber cloths that you find in the automotive section at Costco. They are much bigger & cheaper than anything you'll find in a cleaning section. I've been using them for decades.

Got it, thanks SCFR

Comment

Working...
                          X