Making money on hobbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making money on hobbies

I like to design labels, cards and signs from my home computer. I have thought about trying my hand in business. I intend on canvasing the local shops to see if any of them need mailers or publications made. I was told by a friend that there were a lot of business' offering what I would offer. I am giving it a go anyway. Anyone else trying to build a side business? I would like tips or advice. Thanks

When I still lived in the states, I had some of my photography (which I do as a casual hobby) for sale in an art gallery. I went around town with some samples of my photography, and the second place I went to was very interested in showcasing them. Worked out very well for me.

Similarly, a friend of mine there actually opened her own gallery to sell her paintings, which are fantastic. I've bought two copies of a pair of paintings she did--one set for myself, one set as a gift.

If you can make an income (no matter how small) off of something you already love to do, you can't go wrong. The biggest caution is going too far, to where making money off of your hobby becomes more important than enjoying it.
    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I turned a hobby into a side business. I collect Walt Disney memorabilia. In 1986 I started a small mail order list (in the pre-internet days). That grew into a 40-page catalog. I also started selling at toy and collectible shows. In 1994, I started advertising online. In 1997, I started selling on ebay and that's when business really took off. By 2000, I was maintaining 100 active auctions at all times and my best month I did over $3,000 in sales. Since then, I've backed off to next to nothing for various reasons but periodically, I go through a phase where I start selling again for a few weeks as I still have tons of stock.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

You should really consider starting a business. Home business deductions are some of the best deductions around.

Comment

Personally, and I don't mean to offend you, I don't see much of a business in selling cards, labels and signs. Most anyone who uses a computer would also have a printer and could probably figure out how to do it themselves.

Comment

I think it's worth a shot. Try it and see what happens!

Comment

I breed and sell dogs every few years. You make a little money and it's a lot of time and effort but I enjoy the results and the praise from those I sell to.

Retirement is looming(7-10yrs.)for me so I may look to doing it more seriously at that time.
              "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

Originally posted by PatientSaver View Post
                Personally, and I don't mean to offend you, I don't see much of a business in selling cards, labels and signs. Most anyone who uses a computer would also have a printer and could probably figure out how to do it themselves.
                I strongly is agree with this. You'd be amazed by how many people would rather hire it out than do it themselves. Additionally, graphic design is a talent like anything else -- just becuase someone can throw some clipart in a word doc doesn't mean they can do as good of a job as a professional.

I agree the competition is steep and you'd have to either do outstanding work or have competitive pricing but I think the market is there. Start by building a portfolio and getting some people to write you recommendations for work you've done for them. Maybe reach out to some non-profits and ask if they need any work done while you get your name out there. Non-profits are incredible for networking if you do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by riverwed070707 View Post
                  I strongly is agree with this. You'd be amazed by how many people would rather hire it out than do it themselves. Additionally, graphic design is a talent like anything else -- just becuase someone can throw some clipart in a word doc doesn't mean they can do as good of a job as a professional.

I agree the competition is steep and you'd have to either do outstanding work or have competitive pricing but I think the market is there. Start by building a portfolio and getting some people to write you recommendations for work you've done for them. Maybe reach out to some non-profits and ask if they need any work done while you get your name out there. Non-profits are incredible for networking if you do a good job.
                  I agree. I meant to reply to this earlier. I do a fair amount of graphic design work and I've had numerous people hire me to do things for them over the years. When our daughter was younger, I always made her birthday party invitations and they were a big hit. That resulted in several jobs from friends for their kids. I made her birth announcements. I made the invitations for her Bat Mitzvah a couple of years ago, as well as the place cards and centerpieces. Had I hired a pro to do what I did, it would have cost us hundreds of dollars. I even designed the t-shirts that were given out as favors. Stuff like that can definitely be a good home-based business.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Maximize the use of the internet. Google Adsense on a website with high traffic can earn you some regular income.

Comment

You can save money by starting your own website business. It is hard to do and takes a lot of perseverance, but in the end, it has the chance of paying off.

Comment

Labels, cards, and signs

Labels, cards, and signs... sounds like you could get into advertising. THAT would be a great business to start. Helping OTHER people with their businesses!

Go for it
                        Good luck

Comment

I like to look at this is another way. We can break activities down into 2 dimensions; things we're good at (G) and things we like doing (D). Lets put it on a Matrix

.................Like doing..........Don't like doing
                          Good at.......Do this, be rich....Most people's jobs, reconsider

Bad at........Hobbies.............Avoid

Hobbies tend to be things that you just like doing but aren't necessarily good at. You should just do them for fun, not to make money or anything. If you are trying to do it to make money, then maybe it should be more than a hobby. Avoid trying to do it to make money because there are likely better ways to make money.

Comment

If this is done correctly and if you are good at it you could definitely make money online with this. I would recommend starting a blog... then start commenting on people's blog that have a similar business. That is a great way to showcase your work and get some free advertising!

Comment

Hi Eric. Please check out freelancer.com. I am sure you can find many clients for your service. I outsource most of my business activities from that site. Alternatively, you can also check out guru.com. Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X