The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Saving money without using the bank?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Sky

    I don't know the area you live in or your circumstances but when, not if, Things turn around and you have some substantial money to deal with you will be glad you found a bank you have a long relationship with.

    Many years ago I was a 14yr old paper boy that started a savings account with a bank that I still do buisness with. Good banks do exist and it sounds like you need to really search to find the one for you.
    "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by skylovessea View Post
      That seems a bit rude..
      My apologies. It wasn't meant that way. I was trying to make the point to others that I didn't think you were talking about a large sum of money (which I think a lot of people were envisioning).

      As several others have mentioned, keeping a modest amount of cash in the home is actually a good idea for emergencies when you can't get to a bank or ATMs are down or phone lines are down. In a blackout or other emergency, cash might be the only thing that works.

      Again, I'm sorry if that came out wrong.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by ktmarvels View Post
        This seems a little counter-intuitive to me. You don't want to pay the banks fees for an accout, but are willing to pay the fee to make a money order? How many money orders are you getting in a month?
        There ARE banks (or credit unions) out there that have free checking, I use ING and USAA, and don't have to pay for checking. Maybe other people know of others. It sounds like you are working with limited funds, so I just hate to see you spending money on things if you don't have to.

        Usually, we only have to get one money order per month, for our electric bill, if we don't have time to pay it directly with cash.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by skylovessea View Post
          That seems a bit rude..
          Why? You haven't been shy about telling people your financial problems. Anyone who has seen your threads knows that you have very little and the money you bring in is already spoken for. I wouldn't expect you to keep a whole lot of cash either.

          It's an observation, not an insult--putting the issue in perspective, if you will.

          Frankly, for someone who has been very patient and has made an honest effort to help you, I think you could extend the benefit of the doubt, no?

          Comment


          • #50
            Read this before you do it.

            The Best Place To Hide Money: Conversation With A Burglar - Personal Finance Advice

            It's about a burglar talking about robbing people.
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by pearlieq View Post
              Why? You haven't been shy about telling people your financial problems. Anyone who has seen your threads knows that you have very little and the money you bring in is already spoken for. I wouldn't expect you to keep a whole lot of cash either.

              It's an observation, not an insult--putting the issue in perspective, if you will.

              Frankly, for someone who has been very patient and has made an honest effort to help you, I think you could extend the benefit of the doubt, no?
              He just said it in a very insulting way. No doubt that it's true but it was hurtful regardless because of the way he said it.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by skylovessea View Post
                He just said it in a very insulting way. No doubt that it's true but it was hurtful regardless because of the way he said it.
                That may be how you took it, however, as an independent observer, I read it and did not see that it was said in a insulting way at all. Quite the contrary, he was speaking in defense of you. The emphasis of the statement, addressed to people who were berating your desire to avoid banking and keep money at home, was that, based on information you've supplied, you likely were not talking about very much money.


                Comment


                • #53

                  Let's return to the original question. The OP wants to know how to best keep money at home. How would you secure it? How would you "keep your hands off it," since it would be so easily accessible.

                  Some people addressed this but, otherwise, the thread was going off in a direction where we are going to see bickering and insults and that is not what this forum is about.


                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by poundwise View Post
                    Let's return to the original question. The OP wants to know how to best keep money at home. How would you secure it? How would you "keep your hands off it," since it would be so easily accessible.

                    Some people addressed this but, otherwise, the thread was going off in a direction where we are going to see bickering and insults and that is not what this forum is about.


                    Thank you. I was close to saying something myself.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      So far, I think the best idea is probably the waterproof container in the toilet bowl. I like that one. It might possibly not be totally safe from fire there, but is probably pretty safe, moreso than a a lot of other options.

                      Another option which hasn't been mentioned is hiding it in the freezer somehow, perhaps in an empty food box or opaque container. Anyone looking in would have no idea that one container held cash.
                      Steve

                      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I personally wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of it Sky if I had it in the house.

                        I had a craptastic experience with Capital One but I love love love Navy Federal. What fees they do have are quite reasonable. What I've noticed is the mom and pop local banks tend to have lower quality customer service vs. national chains. Any office can have a peckerhead working there. As for the money order account, try to see if you can find a bank that doesn't charge (or charges very little) for cashier checks. At my last apartment they wouldn't take personal checks and Navy Federal doesn't charge for cashier checks. They work the same way as money orders but should be a bit more affordable. (I was NOT about to pay to pay my bills...later for that crap.)

                        The toilet tank method sounds solid. Icky but solid.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by skylovessea View Post
                          That seems a bit rude..
                          I really don't think he meant it that way. He just realized from your other tread that your financial situation is tough, and you don't have a lot of $$ at this time.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by SacredFaerie View Post
                            The toilet tank method sounds solid. Icky but solid.
                            The ick factor may be why it would work...or lets make it a money saving option, if you put the money in a water proof container you'll be displacing water in the tank, thus reducing the water used per flush. It's a win-win!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              about putting money in the toilet tank or anywhere in the bathroom for that matter - I would not do it

                              why would you hide things in a room that you would let people you may not know well use? (like service people) and give them a lock and even a noisy fan ?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I can imagine getting by without using the bank.

                                The convenience of a debit card and checks just makes life so easy.

                                That said, I always keep cash at the house in a cheap safe I bought from walmart. You never know when a situation comes up that you need cash ASAP.

                                But how do you keep from spending it? Easy, you just don't.

                                If you can't stick to your plans, if you can't decide not to spend it, then you will never be financially successful. There is no way to keep you away from your money if you decide to go after it. There is nothing stopping me from, within minutes from now, going to my safe and spending thousands, or checks for 10's of thousands, or credit cards for $100k. It's up to me to control it.

                                Once you excercise that control, alot of other issues will start taking care of themselves.

                                Good luck to you.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X