Cash out refinance to pay off ARM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash out refinance to pay off ARM?

I'm really hoping this forum can help me figure out a question I've been wrestling with.

I have a mortgage on my primary residence:
    Fixed rate @ 3.375%
    Balance $340k
    Home value $700k

I have a second mortgage on some land:
    Adjustable rate @ 4.125%
    Balance $105k
    Land value $150k

The rate on the ARM is increasing to 5.625% in May, and over its life could increase to over 10%. I knew this up front, of course, but didn't expect such a big jump so soon.

Today I spoke with the servicing company on my first (fixed rate) mortgage about the possibility of doing a cash-out refinance to combine these two loans into one at a fixed rate. They gave me the following options:

1. 15 year @ 3.875% (1 pt) - closing costs $9.3k
    2. 30 year @ 4.250% (1.5 pts) - closing costs $11.8k
    3. 30 year @3.875% (4 pts) - closing costs $23.7k

I'm hesitant to give up the lower interest rate on the loan that represents 3/4 of my total mortgage debt, but I'm also worried that the ARM will keep increasing and I can't figure out the best way to compare these options. What would you do if you were me?

Thanks so much for any advice!

If I went through with something like this, I don't think I would be paying any points.

why do you have to combine the two?

how many years are left on your primary home's mortgage/when did the loan start?

can you get a HEL** to pay off the land? is that different than what you plan to do?
    Last edited by Jluke; 03-06-2018, 07:42 AM. Reason: **used the wrong term; not HELOC

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
      If I went through with something like this, I don't think I would be paying any points.

why do you have to combine the two?

how many years are left on your primary home's mortgage/when did the loan start?

can you get a HELOC to pay off the land? is that different than what you plan to do?
      Thanks for the reply.

I have 18 years left on my primary mortgage (was originally 30yr).

I suppose I could do a HELOC but I'm unfamiliar so would have to do some homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
        can you get a HELOC to pay off the land? is that different than what you plan to do?
        Originally posted by Elementary View Post
        I suppose I could do a HELOC but I'm unfamiliar so would have to do some homework.
        I wouldn't do a HELOC since that is just another name for an adjustable rate mortgage. You'll have the same problem with rising interest rates.

What you could do is a HEL - Home Equity LOAN. That is a fixed rate loan.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          I wouldn't do a HELOC since that is just another name for an adjustable rate mortgage. You'll have the same problem with rising interest rates.

What you could do is a HEL - Home Equity LOAN. That is a fixed rate loan.
          Thanks!

I looked into this and rates for 15 or 20 year loans seem to be in the 6% range. Might be better off just taking my chances with the ARM. Or going through with the refi.

Comment

What is the purpose of the land?
            Are you earning money from holding it via some sort of a lease?
            If not, then you may want to consider selling it.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
              What is the purpose of the land?
              Are you earning money from holding it via some sort of a lease?
              If not, then you may want to consider selling it.
              I bought it because I want to build a vacation home on it. Got it at a great price in a fantastic location. I'm not considering selling it.

Comment

Just coming back to say a different company offered me a no-cost cash out refi that keeps my monthly payment essentially flat. Glad I kept looking!

Comment

Originally posted by Elementary View Post
                  Just coming back to say a different company offered me a no-cost cash out refi that keeps my monthly payment essentially flat. Glad I kept looking!
                  That's great. It is always a good idea to get a few quotes before making a major financial move like this. What rate are they offering?
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    That's great. It is always a good idea to get a few quotes before making a major financial move like this. What rate are they offering?
                    It's a 20-year at 4.125% with all costs covered. You're right it's always a good idea to shop around. Unfortunately, this means I have two new inquiries on my credit report instead of one, but I think I can live with that.

Comment

It usually doesn’t pay to take out a mortgage loan to pay off a mortgage loan. The fees are often atrocious.
                      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Working...
                      X