Announcement

Collapse

Under Construction - Migration Clean Up

SA Community.

In order to improve speed and performance we migrated servers on Friday. We are noting some issues on the site and are working fix the migration clean up over the weekend.

If you see any problems please email them to => [email protected] or report them to the forums mods.
See more
See less

Consumer debt hits record high of $4 trillion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consumer debt hits record high of $4 trillion

Americans are carrying a record $4 trillion in debt. Total credit card debt is also at a record surpassing $1 trillion. Student loan debt stands at $1.5 trillion (not stated to be a record in the article I read).
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

And corporate debt is at a record, too. And the U.S. deficit. This will come home to roost in the next recession. Not sure how it will manifest itself other than default rates rising. I hope the banks try to remember what happened in 2008/2009 and behave. Ahhh, who am I kidding? Too big to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by corn18 View Post
      And corporate debt is at a record, too. And the U.S. deficit. This will come home to roost in the next recession. Not sure how it will manifest itself other than default rates rising. I hope the banks try to remember what happened in 2008/2009 and behave. Ahhh, who am I kidding? Too big to fail.
      Nobody learned anything from the last recession. All of the awful lending and borrowing practices died down for a little while and then gradually resurfaced. At some point in the next year or two, the bottom will drop out again and we'll repeat the cycle. Although I'm far from a market timer, I have trimmed back on our equity exposure over the past year and have been increasing our cash position. I'm 11 years closer to retirement than I was in 2008 so I'm not as carefree about having plenty of time to recover this time around, especially if the crash doesn't happen for another year or two.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
      X