paying ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paying ahead

I just showed a very surprised person, how he could pay of his home in 7 years by simply paying an extra $55 a week on his mortgage. We picked $55 as the amount, as he just got a $55 a week raise. Previous payoff date was in 2032. He quickly pointed out, if he applies ALL his raises and bonus money, he may be able to pay it off in 3 years. His mortgage is around $28,000 on a home he bought for $30,000.

Loved the look on his face when he saw the figures. Now, he says he has a motive to quit smoking--he is putting it to the house instead of "burning" it up, and he will be healthier for it. His wife then stated if he remained smoke free for a year, he got a reduced insurance rate on his health insurance and his employer will give him a $500 bonus after a year as well.

They left the center, then he came back in and handed me 2 cartons of cigerattes-said they were in his truck and he didn't need them!!!! I almost suggested he return them for the cash and start his mortgage drive now, but was afraid he might not have that much willpower...

Originally posted by mom-from-missouri View Post
    I just showed a very surprised person, how he could pay of his home in 7 years by simply paying an extra $55 a week on his mortgage. We picked $55 as the amount, as he just got a $55 a week raise. Previous payoff date was in 2032. He quickly pointed out, if he applies ALL his raises and bonus money, he may be able to pay it off in 3 years. His mortgage is around $28,000 on a home he bought for $30,000.

Loved the look on his face when he saw the figures. Now, he says he has a motive to quit smoking--he is putting it to the house instead of "burning" it up, and he will be healthier for it. His wife then stated if he remained smoke free for a year, he got a reduced insurance rate on his health insurance and his employer will give him a $500 bonus after a year as well.

They left the center, then he came back in and handed me 2 cartons of cigerattes-said they were in his truck and he didn't need them!!!! I almost suggested he return them for the cash and start his mortgage drive now, but was afraid he might not have that much willpower...
    What sort of center do you work in, Mom From Missouri?

What a fun story.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post
      What sort of center do you work in, Mom From Missouri?

What a fun story.
      I volunteer at 2 different centers-ministerial alliances-supported by local churches. Each are open 1 day a week. We hand out clothing, food, daipers, school supplies, toys and sometimes help with utilities and gasoline. People have to meet certain financial guidelines in order to get our services.

Some of us also help teach our clients to help them better themselves--Things we sometimes teach include mending/sewing, cooking/baking, budgeting, job interview skills, computer and office skills, driving lessons, basic auto maintance, help studying for GED, classes for new parents.

We also review with them as to where their money goes and where it should go.

Some have no clue. Others have a clue and just got caught off guard due to illness or job loss and just need help tiding over.

We get no government funding, everything is donations from churches and individuals. We don't waste anything--If clothing is donated that can't be used as clothing, we cut it up for quilt making. Bad food donated--we compost it for a community garden. Items of value given that we can't re give we sell (such as jewerly).
      Last edited by mom-from-missouri; 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

How awesome!!

It's wonderful that you donate your time to help other people learn those sort of skills. Of all the goods and services that get donated by people and organizations, it always seems like some basic life skills like managing the money that a person is able to earn and stretching that dollar as much as possible are often not provided enough, but are the most beneficial (long term at least)!

Plus, I always love hearing about someone who really makes an effort to quit smoking. To each their own, but I still hate smoking. haha!

Comment

Great stuff! You're filling such an important void that was once filled by family and should never be filled by government... keep up the great work!
          Current Status: Traveling North American in our 1966 Airstream. Check out the remodel here.

Comment

What a wonderful service you supply. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all those hours you and your colleagues volunteer. I wish a service like that was offered at every church. It's so practical and non threatening. So many people get themselves in trouble because they just don't understand or never learned how to make the most use of their money. Many people have such poor role models.

Comment

Hopefully, this will be one of those life changing moments for him.

Comment

That is awesome! It is great that you are able to help people with their financial needs.

Comment

Working...
                X