No announcement yet.

Extreme Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would definitely get rid of the landline. You have an expensive cell package so a landline is kind of ridiculous on top of that. Get rid of the cable. Virtually any show out there is available from the network website within 24 hours or at worst, one week later. Why pay for watching it "right now" when you can get it for free with a little patience?

Your grocery budget is very high for one person. I feed four people on $500 a month (quite a bit of the food is organic) so you can definitely cut that expense, I'd say in half.

Is there anyone you can carpool with to cut your gas expenditure in half?

These may seem like small things, but you could probably free up $300 to $400 a month doing them. And if you can find a cheaper place to live it would solve a lot of your problems right there.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRobin View Post
      I would definitely get rid of the landline. You have an expensive cell package so a landline is kind of ridiculous on top of that. Get rid of the cable. Virtually any show out there is available from the network website within 24 hours or at worst, one week later. Why pay for watching it "right now" when you can get it for free with a little patience?

Your grocery budget is very high for one person. I feed four people on $500 a month (quite a bit of the food is organic) so you can definitely cut that expense, I'd say in half.

Is there anyone you can carpool with to cut your gas expenditure in half?

These may seem like small things, but you could probably free up $300 to $400 a month doing them. And if you can find a cheaper place to live it would solve a lot of your problems right there.
      Not true -- I love Suits but USA doesn't allow Hulu to play it for a full 30 days after it airs! It's not availalbe on USA's site, just clips.

Not enough to get my to pay for cable/satellite, but some stations are definintely starting to take steps to keep their viewers.

Comment

Bankruptcy is not the answer and should be your last resort as this may affect you for a very long time, you will get no credit, your credit score goes through the floor and you will get nothing from banks or equivalent. I highly recommend a debt advisor where they will be able to guide and advise you honestly.

Comment

Thank you all for the input.
          I certainly can do some of those things. I'm just looking for best way to handle things in steps. 1st what is the most I can do right now, then what would be the next middle step, and finally start paying off debt obviously any other actions I can do down the road.
          Taking the following advice that was posted, but if someone can also advise if there is anything I can do with credit cards to get the minimums reduced to further meet my budget for now? Is the best method doing that myself or through non profit credit counselor? Any advice on what to do or approach would be greatly appreciated.

I can & did get rid of cable & regular phone. I'm actually annoyed with myself I didn't do it sooner. I hardly watch the thing other then news and the mindless entertainment. It is amazing how much is out there for free. I won't even spend 7.99 for Huluplus as posted. All this is (even free) is a un-needed luxury to focus on right now given my situation. Same with the cell phone, I'm just researching what is the best option & price for me before I change my plan by tomorrow.

My groceries I can cut back and have.
          Rent, I can look at getting a roommate in the near future & second job for now. Then would eventually move to improve my rent amount. I don't have the means to move at the moment, but again that would be a 2nd step.
          I'm also going to ask to get a bump in my salary next week. Hopefully the answer will be yes!

Yes, the one poster is correct, the $25 is transfer from checking to savings to avoid fees. Not really "spending" $25, try to keep for emergencies by transferring.

The car has been the problem at this point to quick fix. I called and found out I have 3 more years & owe 10K at $336 per month. They said I could refinance the balance 10K to lower my payment which was originally based on $18k OR get into a car that would fit a lower payment through them. Then they ran my credit and even though I have never been late, due to debt amount they wouldn't lower my payment via refi or another purchase. I don't have the money for a down or to pay cash for a beater... I need a safe reliable car, don't need anything special... Don't know if going to a dealer based on payment would be a better option or what? My car may only fetch $1,000 over loan if lucky.

My take away from here is to at all costs avoid bankruptcy. Just not sure what's in store for me when I can't make my minimums on credit cards. Making the adjustments per above has only helped very little really. I plan on continuing paying rent, car, insurance & utlities on time. I guess make whatever I can on credit cards I suppose, that is where I will have trouble. I also don't know how I will ever pay off the amount of debt owed in full and not sure if settling is an option on that? I'm still stressing very much as you can tell by detail.
          Last edited by ctazx; 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ctazx View Post
            Rent, I can look at getting a roommate in the near future & second job for now. Then would eventually move to improve my rent amount. I don't have the means to move at the moment, but again that would be a 2nd step.
            I dont know what do you mean by saying you dont have the means to move at this moment, but as others mentioned moving to a cheaper place seems obvious first step.

Comment

Working...
            X