Announcement

Collapse

Happy Thanksgiving - Stock Markets Are Closed

Happy Thanksgiving!

The stock markets in the United States will be closed on December 25th, 2021, in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday.
See more
See less

MrPaseo's 52 week challenges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MrPaseo's 52 week challenges.

I intend to run six 52 week challenges at the same time.

The first: .01 cent
    The second: .05 cents
    The third: .10 cents
    The forth: .25 cents
    The fifth: .50 cents
    The sixth: 1.00

Each week I will find the coins needed for each and will add them to the jar. I intend to find glass jars that can withstand the weight and being moved around.

I intend to do this in order rather than the Yahtzee way but will keep my options open.

I will keep this first post up to date but will put additional posts (Hopefully containing photos) below.

STEPS:
    1. Locate glass jars. I changed my mind on the glass jars, it will be fun to watch the container fill as I combine the coins. I don't mind rolling the coins either and the wrappers I get free from the bank so no worries there. I have a 3 gallon jug (Photos below) that we already have in the house so no money spent on a container(s).

2. Chose start date. Since I have the container and the first weeks coins in house I am going to kick off the challenge today!

3. Locate correct coins. This is on going.

4. Contribute. Starting 16 AUG 13.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Current balance: $0.01

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Current balance: $0.05

Current balance: $0.10

Current balance: $0.25

Current balance: $0.50

Current balance: $1.00

Eisenhower dollar: 1
    Susan B. Anthony dollar: 0
    Sacagawea dollar: 0
    Presidential dollars: 0

The beginning:

Here is the worksheet that I will be using.

Last edited by mrpaseo; 08-16-2013, 08:29 AM.

Some facts

_________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    End balance will be: $13.78

I will be saving the 95% copper cents for this task. They are ranging in dates from 1909 - 1982, however, I will not include any wheat cents nor any 1982 because the wheat hold a small numismatic premium and the 1982 was the transition year where they went to a zink based cent. The copper cents are worth a little more so I will be saving them for this event.

There are 8.9757 pounds of copper and 0.4724 pounds of zinc in $13.78 face value of copper cent(s). For a total weight of 9.4481 pounds.

Ending balance will be: $68.90

The Jefferson Nickel is dated 1946 - 2013. The metal composition is the same in all dates.

There are 11.3924 pounds of copper and 3.7975 pounds of nickel in $68.90 face value of nickel(s). For a total of 15.899 pounds.

The ending balance will be: $137.80

The Roosevelt dime is dated 1965 - 2013. The metal composition is the same in all dates.

There are 6.3162 pounds of copper and 0.5739 pounds of nickel in $137.80 face value of dime(s). For a total of 6.8901 pounds.

The ending balance will be: $344.50

1965-2013 Washington Quarter all with the same metal composition.

There are 15.7904 pounds of copper and 1.4349 pounds of nickel in $344.50 face value of quarter(s). A total of 17.2253 pounds.

The ending balance will be: $689.00

1971-2013 Kennedy Half Dollar all with the same metal composition.

There are 31.5808 pounds of copper and 2.8697 pounds of nickel in $689 face value of half dollar(s). This totals 34.4505 pounds.

The ending balance will be: $1378.00

This one is complicated because I intend to mix it up. The majority will be Presidential Dollars though so I will put the info for them here and will track the type in the first thread.

2007-2013 Presidential Golden Dollar, all with the same metal composition (As well as the Sacagawea dollars).

There are 21.7777 pounds of copper, 0.4922 pounds of nickel, 1.4765 pounds of zinc, and 0.000390663 tonnes of manganese (I will not count the mangasese) in $1378 face value of Presidential dollar(s). For a total weight of: 23.7464 pounds.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
    End total worth: $2,631.98
    End total weight: 107.6594 pounds.
    Last edited by mrpaseo; 08-15-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

What an interesting challenge! It's a little complicated for me, but I can't wait to read your progress with obtaining the specific coins to meet your goal.

Comment

Week 1: 16 AUG 13
        Balance: $1.91

I decided to start with week 1 since I had the coins in the house and the container available. I received the Eisenhower Dollar and Kennedy Half dollar in change when I purchased a 1/2 ounce silver coin a few months back from a coin and jewelry store.

Container:

Worksheet:

Last edited by mrpaseo; 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Okay, so I guess it's a rule that you can not update a page after 24 hours... I will keep them updated in each post (Weekly).

Comment

So this is what I have in house to help me though this challenge. All the cents are copper so I'm good for a few weeks. I have very few dollars and half dollars so those are the ones that I need to focus on in my search over the next week or three.

Comment

You've definitely set up a distinct challenge. haha Good luck!

Comment

I am happy to report that I found some half dollars so I have this Friday's contribution ready to add to the stack.

I am leaning towards the Yahtzee style but this week I am planning on doing week 2 contributions (2 of each).

I am currently planning to run one more 52 week challenge when this one is done but only for dollars and bills only but we will see what happens over the next year.

I also thought about doing different contributions for each coin type, meaning I can do week 52 for the cents, week 36 for the dimes, week 12 for dollars etc. (All at the same time) Basically doing all the 52 week challenges Yahtzee style at the same time but spreading out the values to use what I have on hand.

This will help the container full up faster (By doing the larger size contributions first).

Comment

Week 2: 23 AUG 13
                  Balance: $5.73

As you can see, I changed the tracker. This will probably happen over the weeks ahead. I added a Susan B. Anthony and a Presidential Dollar to the container this week. Other than that, business as usual. Thus far the weeks have been in order. We'll see if I keep that up.

Container:

Tracker:

Comment

Congrats on the deposits!

Comment

Originally posted by mrpaseo View Post
                      Week 1: 16 AUG 13
                      Balance: $1.91

I decided to start with week 1 since I had the coins in the house and the container available. I received the Eisenhower Dollar and Kennedy Half dollar in change when I purchased a 1/2 ounce silver coin a few months back from a coin and jewelry store.

Container:

Worksheet:

Love the poster! Good luck on your challenge.
                      30 Tips for WAH JOBS

Comment

Thanks Now you know what my life long goal is

Comment

Originally posted by mrpaseo View Post
                          Thanks Now you know what my life long goal is
                          Awesome. Mine is to walk the red carpet.
                          30 Tips for WAH JOBS

Comment

Okay, so I guess getting dollar coins at the post office is no longer an option... My local bank said they can not get me any either (Have I mentioned how much I hate BoA). Anyway, the search continues. I think I am good for one more week, maybe I'll have to throw a few Morgans in there....lol. Just kidding.

Comment

Week 3: 30 AUG 13
                              Balance: $11.46

I still have yet to find some dollar coins... I am going to have to venture out to some new banks this week to see if I can find a source. I added a SBA, Presidential dollar and an Eisenhower dollar for my three dollars this week.

Container:

Still looks empty but as the weeks go on I'm sure it will fill up fast.

Here is another look at the container:

Comment

Working...
                              X