Sell Homemade Jewelry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell Homemade Jewelry

One of my collegues has made a lot of money by selling homemade jewelry on on Ebay. She makes these nice earrings, clips and other girly stuff and people purchase them like hot-cakes on the ebay.

So, if you know how to make jewelry and anything else at home, sell it on ebay.

Actually, it's probably better to sell such things on Etsy. I've heard eBay referred to as FeeBay. I myself haven't sold on eBay, but I understand their fees are high. Etsy has a low posting and commission fee. It's a place for all things handmade and vintage.

I'm generally not much of a window shopper, but I can't help going there just to stare at all the pretty stuff for sale.

Comment

As a customer, I am more likely to look for handmade on Etsy than Ebay, as SoCalifrugal mentions. If someone can set themselves apart as being truly an artisan, rather than just an assembler of purchased beads and components, I am all the more interested.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

It depends on the creativity of the person to make designs and lot of patience to bring them to life.. My friend helps me out in this

Comment

My friend is quite talented in this field. But some of her designs are inspired by designer accessories too. My wife loves them.

Comment

I don't exactly know how much she makes, but I think its around $300 per month. She is quite happy with this much business as it gives her time to spend with her kid,

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalifrugal View Post
              Actually, it's probably better to sell such things on Etsy. I've heard eBay referred to as FeeBay. I myself haven't sold on eBay, but I understand their fees are high. Etsy has a low posting and commission fee. It's a place for all things handmade and vintage.

I'm generally not much of a window shopper, but I can't help going there just to stare at all the pretty stuff for sale.
              The only problem: Until this post I had never even heard of Etsy.

Then again I'm a boy. And not one that wears bling.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                As a customer, I am more likely to look for handmade on Etsy than Ebay, as SoCalifrugal mentions. If someone can set themselves apart as being truly an artisan, rather than just an assembler of purchased beads and components, I am all the more interested.
                Thank you for that site - never heard of Etsy. I make hair bows and this is a good site to sell them on.

Comment

Another thing you could try, which one of my friends did, is sell them on commission at places like hair salons and chemists.

When I worked as a hairdresser a few of the salons I worked in had a little stand at the front with jewellery provided by someone who made it at home. Each week/fortnight they would come in and get the money from what we sold. The salon kept like $2 from each sale. We sold a few pieces a week and it cost the seller nothing to advertise and hundreds of people saw them each week.
                  Last edited by 1milliondollarchallenge; 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM. Reason: bad spelling!

Comment

Arghhh! Beware of thinking 'if you make them, they will come!!'
                    I have been designing and selling jewelry for 3 years on Etsy and here it is in a nutshell:

1. You are but a drop in the ocean. Although Etsy receives great traffic (millions of hits per day), you need to promote yourself and bring in customers. REALLY.

2. Nothing, nothing will happen unless you have a very very distinct style and product. And even if you DO nothing nothing will happen unless it is represented supremely well in photographs.

3. Be very wise in controlling expenses! Base expenses on income. BEWARE

4. Etsy (and ebay and artfire and other sites) have a several months learning curve to get good at having a presence. It is a computer time sink unless you budget time! Find out where you get results and put time toward that (ie twitter, facebook, ads, etc.)

5. Finally and most importantly!! If you don't design and craft (jewelry, cards, or whatever) for love and pleasure, DON'T DO IT! You will inevitably become frustrated and unhappy with the lack of attention.

Now, go and click on my Etsy shop and see what I mean,
                    The Frugal Artisan

Comment

my own jewelry business

I've been trying to start up my own business, but it seems like once I started then everyone started. Even the craft stores are carrying more beads and things these days.
                      Does anyone have any tips?
                      has anyone tried out on etsy?

let me know anything you can think of!
                      thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pretty cheap jewelry View Post
                        Arghhh! Beware of thinking 'if you make them, they will come!!'
                        I have been designing and selling jewelry for 3 years on Etsy and here it is in a nutshell:

1. You are but a drop in the ocean. Although Etsy receives great traffic (millions of hits per day), you need to promote yourself and bring in customers. REALLY.

2. Nothing, nothing will happen unless you have a very very distinct style and product. And even if you DO nothing nothing will happen unless it is represented supremely well in photographs.

3. Be very wise in controlling expenses! Base expenses on income. BEWARE

4. Etsy (and ebay and artfire and other sites) have a several months learning curve to get good at having a presence. It is a computer time sink unless you budget time! Find out where you get results and put time toward that (ie twitter, facebook, ads, etc.)

5. Finally and most importantly!! If you don't design and craft (jewelry, cards, or whatever) for love and pleasure, DON'T DO IT! You will inevitably become frustrated and unhappy with the lack of attention.

Now, go and click on my Etsy shop and see what I mean,
                        The Frugal Artisan

Great tips for the aspiring merchant.

Thanks!

Comment

There are many individuals out there selling home made jewelry. Good for your friend for selling so well!

Comment

Actually, this is one of the most popular home businesses nowadays. And since the pieces that you can sell are rather unique, you can expect to get a lot of customers.

Comment

Yeah and aside from that there are others like making cards

Comment

Working...
                              X