The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Expenses with renting apartment?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Expenses with renting apartment?

    Found this board today - seems like a great source of info.

    Quick question...my family and I are planning a long distance move (400 miles) in the coming months. Before we get in over our heads and to ensure the move works out, we are going to rent an apartment to start. Neither my wife nor I have rented before (not counting dorms at college), so I'm wondering what types of expenses to expect that are specific to apartments instead of houses. For example, renter's insurance...I really don't know if there is anything else. Your responses are appreciated!!!

  • #2
    Re: Expenses with renting apartment?

    Lease application fee and/or credit check fee
    Security deposit
    Parking fees
    Renters insurance
    Cable/satellite hookup
    Phone/Internet hookup
    Utilities (may require deposit)
    Cleaning supplies
    Car registration stickers if moving to a new state/city

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Expenses with renting apartment?

      Definitely get renter's insurance.
      We also have to rent a storage unit, because we have too much stuff for our little apt. If you have garages, that may be a separate charge.
      Our power bills are also more expensive than our friends' in much bigger houses.

      I can't think of anything else offhand.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Expenses with renting apartment?

        Don't forget all the... not so money related issues.

        Living next to druggies...

        Living above, below, or next to someone who like loud music, or has screaming children.

        Managers who could really care less that your facuet is leaking....it's on the repair list...

        Neighbors who bore you with their life story or problems....all you wanted to do was sit outside on the step and read...not listen to some else complain about problems they created for themselves yet feel powerless to change...huh?

        Make sure you have laundry hookups in your apartments...laundry mats are NOT where you want to hand out!

        Utilities are generally MUCH higher in apartments than houses. I still haven't figred out why there is such a difference....also apartments generally have to pay a huge deposit to the utilities...I didn't have to pay anything at my house.

        Storage space in an apartment is very limited.

        Choose carefully and hope for the best!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Expenses with renting apartment?

          Another expense that is often overlooked is the fee for terminating your lease early. I recently moved into an apartment on a Thursday and moved out the following Monday (security issues...two fistfights broke out in front of my door and someone tried to break in...all in 5 days!!!). I didn't read the terms carefully and found that I had to continue to pay rent until the apartment was re-leased to another tennant. Thankfully the re-leased it 2 weeks after I moved out but if they hadn't I would have been up the creek!!! Although it's not an expense definitely check out the complex at times when most residents are home and on the weekends...it'll give you a good idea what to expect...perhaps I should've taken my own advice!!!

          Comment

          Working...
          X