Automatic Renewal - Consumer Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Renewal - Consumer Protection

As a consumer, I do think that there should be some legal language and protections regarding "automatic renewal". It seems more and more that anything you buy has some fine print for automatic renewal. I think that Consumers deserve to have some protections about that. If someone wants to CHOOSE automatic renewal, then that is fine, choose that. However, I think there should be an Opt Out or a Notification prior to the renewal charge that you have to consent to and check. I do not think that businesses and companies should be able to PRESUME your continued use of their product. Again, if someone would want to choose that as an option than fine. And, yes, I know it is in the fine print and as a consumer you could simply not choose their product. However, I think that as a protection, it would be a reasonable thing and not give the allow the consumer more choices and not tilt in favor of the business. And, as you know the goal is often that you forget about it and simply get charged. And, there have been times I have tried to cancel PRIOR to the charge and been met with a huge hassle or busy signals or calls or emails that do not get answered. I am a weary of playing that game.

I agree that if you sign up for an auto-renewal plan, the vendor should be required to send you a reminder prior to the renewal date. If you do opt to cancel, it shouldn't be a difficult process. There should be a simple way to do it, online ideally.

At least today, it's far easier to set up your own reminders. Assuming you have a smart phone, just schedule a reminder a couple of weeks or a month before so that it pops up on your phone and you can decide at that point if you want to continue the service or membership.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I seem to run into Auto Renewal a lot. There are things I would like to try for a year, a subscription perhaps but I do not want the hassle of auto renewal. I feel like it is meant to cause a hassle and that I might get scammed in some way if I decide I no longer want the subscription. I really wish there was an option to NOT choose that. I have gotten around that for some things by ordering a "gift subscription" and then they aren't just going to charge you every year. But, it makes me LESS likely to take a chance on something knowing that my card is linked and they can help themselves a year from now and if i want out the work of getting out is on me.

Comment

I seem to run into Auto Renewal a lot. There are things I would like to try for a year, a subscription perhaps but I do not want the hassle of auto renewal. I feel like it is meant to cause a hassle and that I might get scammed in some way if I decide I no longer want the subscription. I really wish there was an option to NOT choose that. I have gotten around that for some things by ordering a "gift subscription" and then they aren't just going to charge you every year. But, it makes me LESS likely to take a chance on something knowing that my card is linked and they can help themselves a year from now and if i want out the work of getting out is on me.

Comment

If i could set up a throwaway account, pay the first year, then immediately cancel the CC after i pay it off, that would be helpful. Then they cannot auto bill. It really is wrong that the ONUS is on the consumer.

Comment

Call your credit card company and tell them you want a new card with a new number - that will prevent auto-renewals.
            james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
              Call your credit card company and tell them you want a new card with a new number - that will prevent auto-renewals.
              That doesn't really solve the problem. I mean yes i could do that but then every time i want to subscribe to something then I have to get a new CC? How about we protect consumers from this in the FIRST place. If someone WANTS to choose autorenewal, then fine. However, there should be an OPT OUT option. The company should not be able to PRESUME to have your business year after year. If you want Auto Renewal, then of course, then yes that should be an OPTION. But likewise there should be option to NOT have auto renewal. Maybe I would like to subscribe for a year but not a life time. The onus should not be on the Consumer to have to deal with that. Seems a simple protection that could be easily required.

Comment

They also often misrepresent "free trials". We recently signed up for Sling TV. They advertise a 3-day free trial but that's really not what it is. You subscribe with all of your info and CC information. You then have the right to cancel within those first 3 days without being charged. Otherwise, they go ahead and bill you. To me, a free trial would mean I get 3 days of service with no obligation on my part and without giving you my CC. Then if I decide I want the service, I would subscribe and pay at that point.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                X