Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card q - MasterCard to visa

Hello,

Costco will only be accepting Visa cards, beginning this summer. I am a long time Amex (not the costco one) and MasterCard holder. I do not currently hold a Visa card, and would like to not open a new account. I am an avid Costco shopper so I need a card that can be accepted there.

1) does anyone know if an issuer would switch the card at my request (change the MasterCard to Visa)?
    2) if so, would this negatively impact my credit? My MasterCard is my longest issued card. I plan on applying for a mortgage in the next year and do NOT want to do anything to imperil my credit score.

Thank you all for your help!!

I was unaware that Costco will only accept their Visa card as a form of payment.

Can't you just use debit or cash?
    Brian

Comment

Bjl, I should clarify. They will be accepting ANY Visa card. That's why I am asking about switching an existed non-Costco MasterCard, to Visa.

They will be accepting visa debit (which I don't have), and yes , cash is always King. Unfortunately, I'm not there yet in utilizing cash, I use credit (and pay off all bills in full monthly).

Comment

From what I know of the payments industry, I think it's pretty unlikely that your credit card issuer is set up in such a way as to be able to accommodate your request. But, why not just call and ask?

Comment

Originally posted by WannabeWealthy View Post
          I do not currently hold a Visa card, and would like to not open a new account.
          It's a bit of heresy, but why not? Disciplined spending is disciplined spending no matter how many cards you hold. (We've got to total of 8 cards, but only carry one. In the past, the DW carried two, using one for household spending and one for stuff she purchased in her role in a Kiwanis club.)

Comment

From what I understand, it's not a common practice, but it may be possible.

One of my current credit cards gave me the option of choosing Visa or Mastercard during the initial sign up. I don't think this is a common practice, but my advice would be to contact your credit card company and ask if they can accommodate your request.

Most likely, you'll need to apply for a new Visa credit card. It really shouldn't have much of an impact on your credit score so don't stress about it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by parafly View Post
              It really shouldn't have much of an impact on your credit score
              Even if it does, the score will bounce back soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by WannabeWealthy View Post
                Hello,

Costco will only be accepting Visa cards, beginning this summer.
                Not good.

Comment

Working...
                X