Need Budget Help, Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Budget Help, Please!

Hello! I'm moving from PA to NC (in Wilkesboro, elkin, or around there). I need to get a good estimate on how much it costs monthly (and seperately) for water, electricity, sewage, and trash collection bills in North Carolina, as well as how often you are billed for each.

In addition, I would love it if people told me their monthly budget on food for two people (can live anywhere). Finally, I dont't know if this will effect the cost of water/electric bills but I'm looking to rent an apartment, not buy a house.

Thank you so very much!
    Last edited by Alix.; 12-19-2015, 03:29 PM.

Originally posted by Alix. View Post
    Hello! I'm moving from PA to NC (in Wilkesboro, elkin, or around there). I need to get a good estimate on how much it costs monthly (and seperately) for water, electricity, sewage, and trash collection bills in North Carolina, as well as how often you are billed for each.

I'm looking to rent an apartment, not buy a house.
    I think the cost of utilities will vary somewhat based on the size and design of the apartment you rent. Which direction it faces, how well insulated it is, how old the windows are, what type of heat it has, etc. Those are all factors that can change the numbers considerably. For example, my first apartment was on the ground floor facing a courtyard. That resulted in virtually no wind issue. Plus, I was above the boiler room so my place was always warm. I lived there for 2 years and never once turned on the heat (this was in Philadelphia where it gets pretty cold in the winter). My second apartment, I lived on the 2nd floor of a duplex. The landlords lived below me and were both 90 years old. They kept their heat set on "roast" and the heat rose and kept my place more comfortable without me having to blast my heat.

As for billing, I think you'll find water and electric are typically billed monthly, though in an apartment, you may not pay for water separately. That's usually included in the rent. I'm not sure about trash and sewage. I never lived anywhere where I had to pay those until we bought a house.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I live in Raleigh, NC and in a single family home, so it's a bigger city than Wilkesboro and our costs will be higher then yours, but we pay on average $35/mo to the city for water/sewage/trash collection and food typically runs my 3 person (+ dog) family about $500 in groceries, but we tend to do a lot of fresh foods and meats, as well as buy many things organic. I can't speak at all about rents because I've owned a home for the last 6 years, so I have no knowledge about the rental market right now. Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
      X