The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

$20 bill only worth $5??????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: $20 bill only worth $5??????

    Originally posted by cbmeeks
    If everyone paid cash for gas, you wouldn't need that 5% because you wouldn't have to pay the credit-fees the gas station is charging you for the luxery.
    Well, until I figure out a way to control the behavior of 290 million people, I'll continue paying with credit card and earning the rewards.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: $20 bill only worth $5??????

      Yes, you have to be careful and you run the risk of something like that, but for now it's a way for me to earn a few extra bucks effortlessly and I've got a system going that works for me. The second they charge me an annual fee or something like that...I'm gone! The money is sitting there to pay them off and so far I've never been charged a fee.

      All companies have to pay for the service to swipe cards and the way america is goin that is never going to change. It's factored into the retail cost of goods and services, so yes we do pay for it...wether we use cards or not. Since I'm not going to convice the CC companies to go away...I'll work the system.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: $20 bill only worth $5??????

        Originally posted by Sweepsplayer
        Well, until I figure out a way to control the behavior of 290 million people, I'll continue paying with credit card and earning the rewards.
        Make that 289,999,999 people. I cut my cards up and I am actually sleeping better. Even my sex life is better. You can keep your damn 5%.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: $20 bill only worth $5??????

          Good for you! If that is what works for you, more power to ya! Maybe someday I'll say the same thing....course I'd have to HAVE a sex life to say that!...(are you allowed to say that on this site?).....

          Anyway...All I know is that it's nice to get a little of the money I paid out for years back. I know I'll never get it all, but hey...something is better than nothing!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: $20 bill only worth $5??????

            Well, I will tell you what happened to ME. Might not happen to you or anyone else.

            I too, thought I was in control. Maybe I'm weak. Maybe you're strong. I dunno.

            But, I got an AMEX that gave me skymiles. I thought "I will buy everything with that card, pay it off within 30 days, and fly for free!"

            I now have $1800+ balance on that card. How did that happen?

            I'll tell you how it happened. I was at Lowes and thought, "I need a leaf-blower". So, I charged it.

            I was at Wal-Mart and said, "That new video card is $130. I have $60. hmmm...where can I get the extra money? I know, I will put it on the AMEX and send the $60 in and then next check I will send in the rest. Then, I will have paid no interest and earned 130 miles. It's a win-win!"

            lol.

            Yeah right.

            If that plan worked, then why am I $1800 in the hole?

            Sound familiar?

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: $20 bill only worth $5??????

              That use to be me....then I figured out what "bugdet" really means. If it's not in the budget it doesn't get bought. Self-control....you have to be able to tell yourself no. If you can't tell yourself no...then by all means cut up the card.

              It really does take seld-displine and control. If you can't do it right then yes you can get in big trouble. Been there, done that, see people do it everyday and just shake my head. Once I got the CC paid off I waited over a year to use them again to make sure I "knew" how to do the "budget" thing. I've never looked back.

              Comment

              Working...
              X