The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

best financial book for newlyweds?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • best financial book for newlyweds?

    What's the best financial book for a young couple just starting out? Looking for a book to set someone in the right direction.

  • #2
    1. Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover
    2. Your Money or Your Life
    Current Status: Traveling North American in our 1966 Airstream. Check out the remodel here.

    Comment


    • #3
      I also endorse Dave Ramsey's book for a newly married couple.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it really depends on the couple. Are they financially savvy? Are they living within their means or are they buried in debt and spending uncontrollably?

        Dave Ramsey's book is a great one if they need it but it isn't right for everyone. My wife and I would have had no need for his advice when we got married.

        If they are more responsible, books like The Wealthy Barber or The Millionaire Next Door might be better. Even something like A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

        Don't assume that just because a couple is young means they're stupid about money.
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          If they are more responsible, books like The Wealthy Barber or The Millionaire Next Door might be better. Even something like A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

          Don't assume that just because a couple is young means they're stupid about money.
          Totally agree. I've only actually read Millionaire Next Door, which is perfect for financially responsible people who may just need some ideas or motivation for building a financially secure future (BL: slow & steady wins), but I've also repeatedly heard that Wealthy Barber is excellent.

          My younger brother is recently out of college, and working on getting his first real (professional) job in marketing. I'm going to be giving him a copy of Millionaire Next Door.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think David Bach's book is a handy one. Helps to reiterate the power of saving young. Instead of it "Changing Behavior" like Dave Ramsey's books it more motivates and shows success. Even if you are already good with money.

            Dave Ramsey is for a specific set of people.

            Comment


            • #7
              "All Your Worth" might be a good book. It lays out a budgeting system that's reasonable and easy to follow. Might spark some discussion about financial goals. The authors are very anti-credit cards, which got wearying for me (I used cards to get cash back and never have a problem overspending) but I think the message was good.

              I'd recommend everyone read "The Wealthy Barber." It covers a lot of bases, gives you an overview, and then you can delve deeper into areas that are specific to your needs.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'll second All Your Worth. Very good book
                Steve

                * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I third All Your Worth.

                  I'm not a fan of Wealthy Barber - I find his story-telling "novel" style difficult to follow (and heaven forbid you want to look something up) and it was written 24 years ago. The most recent edition is 16 years old. Not exactly current.
                  Last edited by HappySaver; 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I fourth "All Your Worth" by Warren and Tiyagi.

                    I also recommend Jane Bryant Quinn's "Making the Most of Your Money." Well written, thoughtful, easy to follow for non-nerds.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X