The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Debit Cards and Age

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Debit Cards and Age

    I live in australia and am 14 years old

    I recently saw an advertisment (although i've heard of it before), of
    VISA Debit. ANZ (Bank in Australia), released a card called the ANZ Everyday VISA Debit, now i have a debit card with CBA (another bank in Aus), and thats fine, it works fine etc.

    But to sign up for an ANZ Everyday VISA Debit, I need to be over 18. Now if i am using my own money, debit not credit; why would I need to be over 18?

    Thanks

    Deon

  • #2
    Re: Debit Cards and Age

    I'm not sure about Australia, but here in the states, companies can run into problems trying to enforce a contract with a minor (under the age of 18). The bank may be protecting itself from liability. I would assume most banks would require a signature from a parent or guardian before issuing a minor a debit or credit card.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Debit Cards and Age

      I would have to agree with Sweepsplayers - WHen I was 17 and tried to get my own credit cards and what not - they outright said NO WAY "You are too young" I'ts nothing against you, they just want to protect themselves. Try again when you reach 18!

      Comment

      Working...
      X