Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Place to Get Credit Report

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best Place to Get Credit Report

    Normally, I get my 3-in-1 from Equifax. Of course, now they have included advanced plans that help with credit monitoring and alerts. It is been awhile since my last report and I'm thinking about getting another one.

    Is it worth it to upgrade? It just sucks that now there is a business built on protecting you from online thieves

    Thoughts?

    #2
    The ONLY place to get your free credit report is annualcreditreport.com. You can get one free report per year from each bureau so what many people do is pull one every 4 months rotating through the 3 companies.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


      #3
      Dsteve is right - also try CreditSesame.com or CreditKarma.com for free estimates on your credit scores.

      Comment


        #4
        Just get one free report every 4 months from annualcreditreport.com.

        Comment


          #5
          Easy enough! Thanks!

          Comment


            #6
            a good place to start for this is by going to your citizens advice bureau where they will be able to guide you as to where you need to go - if not then someone like Experian is a good company to go with.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Nightfly View Post
              Dsteve is right - also try CreditSesame.com or CreditKarma.com for free estimates on your credit scores.
              Nightfly, do you have any sense for how accurate those estimates of the credit scores are?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ez1 View Post
                Nightfly, do you have any sense for how accurate those estimates of the credit scores are?
                CreditKarma pulls data from your TransUnion report while CreditSesame pulls from your Experian report. The credit score estimates are based on a scale similar to FICO, and in most cases should give you a general idea of where your true FICO scores might stand. My point is they're pretty good, but they're still "FAKO" scores. Don't rely on them for anything other than informational purposes
                Rock climber, ultrarunner, and credit expert at Creditnet.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  As mentioned, there are sites you can pull the report for free (like CreditKarma) so between those and the three free ones, you should be able to pull 5 a year for free....I would pull every 2 months, then once a year, buy the report and score from myfico.com to check on your real score...

                  Unless you've been a recent victim of identity theft, there's no reason to pay for credit report monitoring.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I use credit sesame but I am not sure how accurate it is. They say they get their score from Experian and mine was 790 but then I opened a card and Amex told me that they got their score from Experian to decide whether I should get the card and the number they said was 720. So, use credit sesame and credit karma because they are free but beware that they might be a little off.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The best places to get a credit report are those that are free and provide reporting from all three major credit bureaus.

                      (simplest and safest, because it's U.S. government guaranteed)

                      By law, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) now requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies – Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion – to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. For more information, read “Facts for Consumers: Your Access to Free Credit Reports” at FTC.gov.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by orenwach View Post
                        I use credit sesame but I am not sure how accurate it is. They say they get their score from Experian and mine was 790 but then I opened a card and Amex told me that they got their score from Experian to decide whether I should get the card and the number they said was 720. So, use credit sesame and credit karma because they are free but beware that they might be a little off.
                        I've been viewing our credit report from annualcreditreport.com for a few years, just to make sure everything is accurate, but they don't provide your FICO score.

                        I just went to creditkarma.com for the first time and was surprised to see our (estimated) credit score is only 722. I drilled down into the data to see why it was so low, and it turns out we get an 'F' for only having 2 open credit accounts.

                        I find that interesting; we have a fairly high family income, own our house outright and own our cars outright (paid cash for a car a few months ago). Our credit report is spotless (no late payments, low credit usage percentage).
                        seek knowledge, not answers
                        personal finance

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by feh View Post
                          I've been viewing our credit report from annualcreditreport.com for a few years, just to make sure everything is accurate, but they don't provide your FICO score.

                          I just went to creditkarma.com for the first time and was surprised to see our (estimated) credit score is only 722. I drilled down into the data to see why it was so low, and it turns out we get an 'F' for only having 2 open credit accounts.

                          I find that interesting; we have a fairly high family income, own our house outright and own our cars outright (paid cash for a car a few months ago). Our credit report is spotless (no late payments, low credit usage percentage).
                          A friend of mine is in the car business. A few years ago a gentleman came in to buy a car for his daughter. He was like you. High income, no debt. He was denied for a car loan. The reason was that his credit history was lacking, history for a lack of a better word. Apparently, it had been years since he took out any loans. It raised red flags with the dealership's credit screening. It's amazing that people that live responsibly can be punished.
                          Brian

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by feh View Post
                            I just went to creditkarma.com for the first time and was surprised to see our (estimated) credit score is only 722. I drilled down into the data to see why it was so low, and it turns out we get an 'F' for only having 2 open credit accounts.

                            I find that interesting; we have a fairly high family income, own our house outright and own our cars outright (paid cash for a car a few months ago). Our credit report is spotless (no late payments, low credit usage percentage).
                            This is something people often don't understand. Your credit score has absolutely nothing to do with your financial status. It says nothing about how successful you are, how much money you have, how high your income is, what percentage of income you are saving or anything else like that. It strictly measures your relationship with debt. If you carry debt and make your payments on time, you'll have a good score. You might only earn 20K/year and be living paycheck to paycheck but you may have a higher FICO than someone earning 200K/year and carrying zero debt.
                            Steve

                            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
                              A friend of mine is in the car business. A few years ago a gentleman came in to buy a car for his daughter. He was like you. High income, no debt. He was denied for a car loan.
                              Why did someone with high income and no debt need a car loan?
                              Steve

                              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X