Hey all,
I have been thinking about my financial planning for the last couple months and have come up with my own strategy, but I would like to see what you recommend for me. Below are my key details, let me know if you need more info:
Age: Just turned 23
Salary: 62,000
No loans
Total monthly expenses usually around $1200-1400
$15,000 in online savings account that earns 1.1% apr
$6,000 in an online brokerage account that I manage myself
Currently I have a 10% of my salary deducted from my paycheck that is deposited to my 401k, which is invested in a 2055 portfolio strategy. My employer matches this to 4%. However, to attain the 4% match I only need to put 5% in myself.
I've recently discovered the concept of the Roth IRA. I plan on continuing to keep the putting 10% into my employers 401k plan, keep their match of 4%, and also put 415 per month into a Roth IRA (but I still need to choose where I do it, and what to invest it it)
Since I assume I will need some money in the future (buying a car in a year or two, buying a house a few years down the road as well) I am having trouble figuring out what balance to strike between putting money into my savings account vs my 401k. Is my strategy good so far? Or should I only be putting 5% into my 401k and the other 5% into savings that I can use for down payments on a car or house in the future.
I would be putting money into CD's rather than savings accounts, but the RoR on cd's is so bad right now it doesn't seem worth it to me to have that money locked up.
All advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Eric
I have been thinking about my financial planning for the last couple months and have come up with my own strategy, but I would like to see what you recommend for me. Below are my key details, let me know if you need more info:
Age: Just turned 23
Salary: 62,000
No loans
Total monthly expenses usually around $1200-1400
$15,000 in online savings account that earns 1.1% apr
$6,000 in an online brokerage account that I manage myself
Currently I have a 10% of my salary deducted from my paycheck that is deposited to my 401k, which is invested in a 2055 portfolio strategy. My employer matches this to 4%. However, to attain the 4% match I only need to put 5% in myself.
I've recently discovered the concept of the Roth IRA. I plan on continuing to keep the putting 10% into my employers 401k plan, keep their match of 4%, and also put 415 per month into a Roth IRA (but I still need to choose where I do it, and what to invest it it)
Since I assume I will need some money in the future (buying a car in a year or two, buying a house a few years down the road as well) I am having trouble figuring out what balance to strike between putting money into my savings account vs my 401k. Is my strategy good so far? Or should I only be putting 5% into my 401k and the other 5% into savings that I can use for down payments on a car or house in the future.
I would be putting money into CD's rather than savings accounts, but the RoR on cd's is so bad right now it doesn't seem worth it to me to have that money locked up.
All advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Eric

Comment