Everyone has an opinion on the ideal emergency fund size. "3-5 months of expenses" "6 months of expenses" or "8 months of expenses" (Suze Orman).
But what does that mean? My expenses vary depending on the month. And is it my fixed expenses (mortgage/utilities/insurance/HOA) or my monthly spending totals (I tend to spend a large chunk on clothes/eating out and misc things).
I used to think it was paychecks. "Keep 6 months of paychecks stashed away for an emergency." because that is an easier way to look at it than "expenses". But my income is no longer simple- I have 4 sources of rental income and 2 full time job incomes, plus my husband gets bonuses.
I have been putting away $200 a month for over a year now and am up to over $4k. That is enough to cover my mortgages (my only debt) for a few months- but it does not cover our monthly income for even 1 month.
I'm confusing myself. I know my target number needs to be at least double what I currently have, but when I calculate 6 months of debt coverage I am at a low number, around $13k, and when I calculate 6 months of income coverage I am at an astronomical number over $40k.
What do you guys calculate?
But what does that mean? My expenses vary depending on the month. And is it my fixed expenses (mortgage/utilities/insurance/HOA) or my monthly spending totals (I tend to spend a large chunk on clothes/eating out and misc things).
I used to think it was paychecks. "Keep 6 months of paychecks stashed away for an emergency." because that is an easier way to look at it than "expenses". But my income is no longer simple- I have 4 sources of rental income and 2 full time job incomes, plus my husband gets bonuses.
I have been putting away $200 a month for over a year now and am up to over $4k. That is enough to cover my mortgages (my only debt) for a few months- but it does not cover our monthly income for even 1 month.
I'm confusing myself. I know my target number needs to be at least double what I currently have, but when I calculate 6 months of debt coverage I am at a low number, around $13k, and when I calculate 6 months of income coverage I am at an astronomical number over $40k.
What do you guys calculate?

Comment