The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

401k account reached 25K

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 401k account reached 25K

    Not a big deal, but I feel like I reached phase 1 of retirement plan. Still a big mountain to climb and long way to go..

    I started contributing into 401K in Oct 2007 and my current balance shows $25K. It can go down or up tomorrow, but I am feeling good right now. I see people in similar age groups (28-30 years) have six figure balances in their 401K already. I started late but hoping to reach this milestone in next 5 years.

  • #2
    Congratz... I am 30 and that is about where I am with my retirement accounts. I definitely consider myself on track. Keep it up!

    D

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gekkoplus View Post
      I see people in similar age groups (28-30 years) have six figure balances in their 401K already. I started late but hoping to reach this milestone in next 5 years.
      I'm curious as to how a 28 year old gets over 6 figures into a401(K).

      They would have needed some $140k or more at the beginning of last year (at age 27) to have $100k now. The annual contribution limit is around $15k. About the only way I see the numbers working out is if graduated at age 22 into a career that allowed you to max out a 401(K) from year one with a very favorable employer match . . . which is definitley not a typical situation, so don't beat yourself up about it!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by red92s View Post
        The annual contribution limit is around $15k. About the only way I see the numbers working out is if graduated at age 22 into a career that allowed you to max out a 401(K) from year one with a very favorable employer match . . . which is definitley not a typical situation, so don't beat yourself up about it!
        Seriously. You're doing well compared to quite a few people out there.

        Comment


        • #5
          That amount is about right. I have been in my 401k since I was 22.

          Comment


          • #6
            Congrats that's awesome, don't worry about starting late. Some individuals never start. It's easy to push it to the bottom of the "I'll get to that later" list.

            Comment

            Working...
            X