I don't know. This is a very interesting question- there really are no right or wrong answers, I suppose.
I look at my 3 year old DD and can't imagine not helping her out in that situation, BUT then I think about all the things that will happen between us as she grows up and becomes independent. Some things might happen that might make me feel she shouldn't have the money.
I was raised in a family where we were told to expect no inheritance. Our parents and grandparents have done very well for themselves, but would rather see that money passed on to charities. Their feelings are that they are self made (really they aren't) and that everyone else can be too. I understand to some extent, but it feels cold also- then again, that's how my family is.
As the child of the above scenario, I would certainly not expect anything. As the parent of the child in the above scenario, I would hope things were such that I would want to do that for my daughter.
I look at my 3 year old DD and can't imagine not helping her out in that situation, BUT then I think about all the things that will happen between us as she grows up and becomes independent. Some things might happen that might make me feel she shouldn't have the money.
I was raised in a family where we were told to expect no inheritance. Our parents and grandparents have done very well for themselves, but would rather see that money passed on to charities. Their feelings are that they are self made (really they aren't) and that everyone else can be too. I understand to some extent, but it feels cold also- then again, that's how my family is.
As the child of the above scenario, I would certainly not expect anything. As the parent of the child in the above scenario, I would hope things were such that I would want to do that for my daughter.

)
Comment