Can I have both a Roth and a traditional IRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I have both a Roth and a traditional IRA

Can I contribute to a Roth and a traditional IRA simultaneously?

Thank you.

Yes, but you can only contribute the annual max in total.

For example, the 2008 limit was/is $5k. If you have a Traditional IRA and a Roth IRA and you've contributed $3,500 to the Traditional, you can only contribute a max of $1,500 to the Roth in the same tax year.

Comment

Just confirming what poundwise said.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

There are also different income caps on the two different types of IRAs. There are no income limits for a Traditional IRA, but you can't have a Roth if you are ineligible due to income restrictions. Roth IRAs are phased out for singles starting at $105k with complete ineligibility after $120k. For couples, the phase out starts at $166k with ineligibility is after $176k. (MAGI numbers.)

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by boosami View Post
            There are also different income caps on the two different types of IRAs. There are no income limits for a Traditional IRA, but you can't have a Roth if you are ineligible due to income restrictions. Roth IRAs are phased out for singles starting at $105k with complete ineligibility after $120k. For couples, the phase out starts at $166k with ineligibility is after $176k. (MAGI numbers.)
            And these limits change if its a spousal IRA and the spouse is not covered by an employer plan.

Comment

Working...
            X