I have a HSA account funded through payroll deductions at work. The account earns interest to the tune of .3% or something like that. Should I expect to receive a 1099-INT for this account? It doesn't seem like it would make sense to be forced to declare interest income on an account that is tax deductible . . . but this is my first time filing while participating in an HSA.
Logging in...
Should I expect a 1099-INT from my HSA?
Collapse
X
-
When participating in an HDHP through work, am I able to have an HSA account at any bank I choose? I was under the impression I had to use the Chase account provided by the CIGNA plan . . . but never gave much thought to it (?)Originally posted by poundwise View PostYou will not receive a 1099-INT but you should receive a 1099-SA.
On another note: You should also move your HSA. Even in the current climate, you should seek 2.5% APY minimum with no, or minimal, fees involved.
I suppose it makes perfect sense that as long as I can verify I participate in an HDHP the account could be anywhere, as it's just a checking account, and I could simply opt out of contributing to the Chase account (?)
Comment
-
-
We don't get a "match" from our employer, but we can get several bonus contributions for a couple health screening opportunities. I think there is about $200-250 in bonus contributions available per year, which essentially negates any interest I am losing out on.Originally posted by sweeps View PostOP may not have a choice where his or her HSA can be. My employer has an arrangement with a specific bank to place matching HSA funds.
I suppose I could always contribute the minimum amount to the work plan to take advantage of the screening bonuses, and have a second high-interest HSA containing a bulk of the balance?
For what it's worth, the account value is ~$1700
Comment
-
-
As sweeps pointed out, your employer may require you to keep your HSA with a certain institution. Sometimes this is part and parcel of the employer provided health plan.Originally posted by red92s View PostWhen participating in an HDHP through work, am I able to have an HSA account at any bank I choose?
It would be worth checking into, just for your own information.
Comment
-

Comment