The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Anyone else have multiple job credentials/experience?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone else have multiple job credentials/experience?

    I knew I was college bound in high school. I got my degree in teaching. I thought I would get my first job and keep it until I retired. In fact, I was hoping they wouldn't even switch my classroom! I worked in scools a couple years. I had to work in a charter b/c the public schools are almost impossible to get into as a teacher in Michigan, and realized teaching wasn't for me.

    I ended up working in a couple medical offices for eye doctors for a few years with on the job training. There ar enot many jobs out there just requiring "any degree" so I found myself pretty skillless outside od education for a while depsite transferable skill such as organization and interpersonal skills. Companies want more concrete skills.

    My dh got laid off recently and since our income went down, we both got training accounts to go back to school. (there are stipulations such as picking a high demand career in our county and money and time limitations to earn the degree ie. the money maxes out at 5K a year for 2 years.

    I may get a technical certificate in the dental field. This will give me basically 3 possible career paths to pick from. However, my evenual goal is to stick with one place/career many years.
    I felt overwhelmed at first going into something yet again different.

  • #2
    I have a degree in manuf. eng. tech., but have never actually worked in manufacturing. I've worked in quality assurance/control (which goes along with manufacturing). I've worked in a power plant and for a cable manufacturer, in the test lab. I've been a SAHM for 6 years.

    The thing that's always been consistent for me is being a math tutor (since 1998). This experience helped me land a job at a community college in the Learning Center. I really, really enjoyed helping people with math. I just got a part-time job helping kids after school, but that isn't enough $ to not look for more work

    DH was laid-off last year and I've been trying to find anything for work. I really, really enjoy administrative duties (weird, I know), and I have a ton of experience throughout all of my previous jobs with that, but having a difficult time getting an admin position. I'm at a crossroad right now and not sure what to do. I feel very out-of-touch with manuf. because it has been too long and many things have changed since 2000. Okay, that's the end of my going on and on and on.
    Last edited by SnoopyCool; 01-20-2009, 05:42 AM. Reason: forgot something

    Comment

    Working...
    X