Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variable rate or fixed rate credit cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable rate or fixed rate credit cards?

I only have one credit card with a 9.99% fixed rate. I call once or twice a year to see if Chase can offer a lower rate, and they never give me any. Last night I tried and they said they could offer a 8.24% variable which is prime + 4.99%.

Is this something that would be financially wise given the current economic situation? What is the risk of this variable rate now? They said i could change my rate back to a fixed in 6 months if I decided to back to a 9.99%.

Do you normally carry a balance on your card? If not, the rate shouldn't really matter, because there's nothing for them to charge the rate against...

For now, you're probably safe with the variable rate. I believe the prime rate is tied to the Federal funds rate (currently hovering just above 0%), and from most indications, it's not likely to move too much anytime within the next few months. It could eventually bite you, but if you check rates regularly, I think you're probably fine.
    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I've found that most CC companies will find a reason to raise your rates, variable or not, I would not carry a balance and only pay in full.

Comment

Well since I'm still working on paying off the card, I will carry a balance until I'm CC debt free.

Comment

I've never had Chase raise my rates in the 12 years I've been with them. Zero late payments on everything as well. Just grinding away at it...

Comment

Originally posted by waijai View Post
            I've never had Chase raise my rates in the 12 years I've been with them. Zero late payments on everything as well. Just grinding away at it...
            With good credit, are you not able to rollover to a 0% card? I've noticed that I am not getting any offers lately.

Comment

The only company that ever contacts me is BOA. I did a balance transfer with them years ago and don't know why they mail me anything since I have no balances on anything.
              "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

If I balance transfer a few thousand over to an intro 0%, I don't foresee being able to pay off that lump by the time the intro rate is expired. I'm sure it'll save me SOME money, but I just have one single credit card at this time with a large balance of over $13k.

Comment

Working...
                X