What are your Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your Plans?

What are you'll plans for your tax refunds?

not sure I will get one

but if I do I will do what I do with all "extra " money and pay down my mortgage

whats your plan?

Comment

I don't know if we get one but if we do it will be for a vacation in August. We have never gone on a true family vacation and my oldest is almost to the point where family vacations aren't as much fun so we want to go this year.

Comment

I will have to pay, but when I do get one , I add it to savings.

Comment

Going right into my house fund.

Comment

If I get a refund - savings for some stuff that needs to be done around the house. I don't expect one though.

Comment

Capital One cc debt.

Comment

Mine is going to my EF.

Comment

Won't get one.

Comment

If we get one (which I hope not to), it goes to the Roth accounts.

If you are getting more than a couple hundred dollars, change your withholding so that it doesn't happen again.
                    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Won't be getting one. We will owe a little bit, but currently it is earning 4%.
                      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                        If you are getting more than a couple hundred dollars, change your withholding so that it doesn't happen again.
                        I've tried to figure this out... How do you do this without essentially lying on any forms? In order for me to decrease my withholding, I essentially have to claim a dependent (which I don't have). I had been advised by a tax preparer last year to claim an extra exemption, which I did last year after filing my taxes (I was to recieve a $400-$500 -ish refund)... I got it bumped up to 2 exemptions from 1, but then when I looked closely at my pay statement recently, I realized they had me listed as 'married'. Especially being in the military (where pay/allowances change slightly if you have dependents), that freaked me out and I just had it changed back to only 1 exemption. Soooo.... what's the deal? How should I do this?

As to the original question, I should be having to pay some taxes. Not sure exactly how much, but it won't be an issue.
                        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

When we have over-paid for the previous tax year, any "refund" is on paper only ... it gets applied to our first estimated tax payment for the current tax year, so we never actually receive any cash.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                            I've tried to figure this out... How do you do this without essentially lying on any forms? In order for me to decrease my withholding, I essentially have to claim a dependent (which I don't have).
                            It is a common misconception that you can only claim the number of exemptions that match the size of your family. That isn't true. You can claim any number you want. A single person could claim 3 exemptions if that's what it takes to make the numbers work. A married couple with 2 children (so 4 people in the household) could claim 6 exemptions if that's what makes them come out pretty even on taxes. It isn't lying and isn't illegal in any way.
                            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

We'll owe this year. First time in many years.
                              Got debt?
                              www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

Working...
                              X