No announcement yet.

Ok here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment max is $362 per week in Michigan before taxed. I have never drawn it, but just know that.

Comment

Originally posted by minnie1928 View Post
      I'll help you feel better...my mom makes less than you at a job that she's worked at over 15 years. And she has to pay for parking out of that!

Feel better now?
      a little. I just thought I was doing okay at what I was making. But I know that different areas pay different amounts. I live in North Carolina. I just started at my job and will get a raise in january. Won't really see it though cuz my insurance also starts in january and it will basically be a match for the amount. But at least I will have insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        I think it simply goes to show that everyone has a different situation. Some people can get by on alot less than others. Alot of factors go into it--housing, family, habits, local cost-of-living, and so on. I've never believed that you can make a valid comparison between two people based on income....there's too many variables. Tell me I have to live on $400/wk, fine... easy. I'm on my own, and don't have many expenses. Tell my parents to do the same, it would be nearly impossible.
        Very true. We live in NJ. We bought a modest home for $142,000, not a huge amount of money at all. Our mortgage payments alone (PITI) are $15,600/year. $400/wk is only $20,800/year. Obviously, we couldn't have our house and live on the remaining $5,200/year. Median family income in my town was over $69,000 in the last census, so I doubt that we could even afford to live in this town on $400/week. In other parts of the country, though, it is perfectly possible to do so.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Well, my husband has a bachelors degree and was in middle management. Hence his larger paycheck, I believe.

When I was working, I was making $400 a week and thought I was doing great. That was also when it was just my husband and I. Now we have 3 kids.

On another note. My husband just found out his mother has abdominal cancer. We're going to have to travel north for 4 days. Which is going to hit our budget in the gut. But sometimes you have to make sacrafices for family.

Here's to hoping 2009 brings better luck for us.

Comment

Cicy, if I remember correctly, you might actually live within the same metropolitan statistical area as I do. The median family income in my city is $31,995, so $2666 per month. That would be before taxes. Last quarter the average home price was $140,000. (An article in a business journal from 2+ years ago talks about how this city was never affected by the housing boom, but it was a little bit, as prices did climb faster in the last ten years than ever before and are now falling, though not so precipitously as elsewhere.) The numbers are higher if you go out to the surrounding suburbs and towns, but we are in the core city. They tend to decline again as you go further out into the surrounding counties, which is where I think you are.

Click on your county if you are in the St. Louis region.
            Regional and County Profiles

To the original poster-- Sorry for the interrupting comparisons. It can be helpful for people to think about your situation in making their own plans and re-evaluating their situation. Hopefully your post helps a number of others, including those who do not post.
            "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Oops, sorry, Cicy. You live in North Carolina. I have you confused with someone who lives in southern Illinois.
              "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

You and I are in very similar situations. My husband was laid-off on 3 October and we've been unemployed since. He, also, was in construction management. I'm trying to work now and he's still looking. Things here in North Florida are not well as far as construction is concerned. I wish you the best of luck.

Advice? I would, and have, hung onto any "extra" $ (as opposed to paying things down... which has been very, very tempting for me). We thought we only had enough $ to float us 3 months but we can go a few more. That was very stress relieving. Clamp down on your grocery bill and anything where there's wiggle room (sounds like you've already done this). Its good that your DH has interim work. Again, best wishes during this difficult time. I can certainly relate!

Comment

I am so sad about your circumstances and wish I had words to comfort and help. Try to remember that this is a temporary set back and this too willl pass. When I'm stressed I bake bread. It's cheap, sinfully easy and leave you with a product all can enjoy or give to someone who has less than you.

Have you heard of Amy Dacyczyn's newsletter [no longer published]? It is likely available at your library which may be your lowest cost forum for information and entertainment. She may be the most frugal homemaker in America and her ideas can help you squish the most benefit from every dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                    Oops, sorry, Cicy. You live in North Carolina. I have you confused with someone who lives in southern Illinois.
                    Actually I used to. I moved here about 4 months ago. It actually is a very busy place and doesn't seem as hard hit as some areas in the country right now. I don't know if I am making good money here or not compared to others but compared to the rent and cost, it is okay. could be better though!

Comment

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                      I am so sad about your circumstances and wish I had words to comfort and help. Try to remember that this is a temporary set back and this too willl pass. When I'm stressed I bake bread. It's cheap, sinfully easy and leave you with a product all can enjoy or give to someone who has less than you.

Have you heard of Amy Dacyczyn's newsletter [no longer published]? It is likely available at your library which may be your lowest cost forum for information and entertainment. She may be the most frugal homemaker in America and her ideas can help you squish the most benefit from every dollar.
                      Thank you! And yes I've read the Tightwad Gazette! Love that book We already live pretty frugally, but I guess we'll just need to tighten our belts some more.
                      We've decided not to pay ahead on anything and just hold on to that money until we need it- ie pay bills as they come in.

Comment

Working...
                      X